2004 Volvo 5.0GL raw water pump leaking from weep hole. Only 101 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was dewinterizing my 2004 Stingray 200LX yesterday and noticed a very slow drip out of the weep hole. I don't want saltwater mist shooting all in my engine compartment. As the title says, only 101 hours on the boat and the $350 pump appears to be bad :mad: .

I spent about 2 hrs last night researching this topic on this forum. A couple of leaky raw water threads had this question: Are you a saltwater boater? Nobody answered and nobody elaborated on the question. I am a saltwater boater and I know how hard the salt is on everything. Yes, I flush the engine quite thoroughly after every outing. My wife and I spend one hour washing the boat trying to remove as much salt as possible.

1. Is this really about all the time that I can expect out of this pump running in saltwater? It just seems to have gone out way too soon even taking into account the saltwater boating.

2. Any chance that I could rebuild the pump? I'm very mechanical. I have a hydraulic press. My research last night led me to believe that the chance of long term rebuild success is very low :( .

Danny

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2004 Volvo 5.0GL raw water pump leaking from weep hole. Only 101 hours.

I've seen them last hundreds of hours on charter boats in salt water. And they didn't get flushed daily because they stayed in the water during summer months.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, Don. I thought that these pumps should last a lot longer than 101 hours. I guess the only thing that I can do is buy a new one, right?

Raw water pump, or circulating pump??
You mentioned weep hole, Im assuming the circulating pump.
They were rebuildable at one time, but in todays society, no one stocks the bearing and seals.

They arent $350!!

http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-C...5443461--session_id.207816050--view_id.269423

Be aware of the difference for engines with steel, or composite timing covers.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nope,he specifically stated raw water pump in the title. They have weep holes too.

Nope,he specifically stated raw water pump in the title. They have weep holes too.

When he mentioned hydraulic press, and $350, I figured circulating pump, those were money makers to rebuild back in the 70s and 80s!!

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Depends where the damage is. Not familiar with the GL, but i just found out that I can replace the housing on my Gi raw water pump instead of buying the whole #$%&ing thing. Wish I'd known that last year!

Fishtales22

Cadet

I was dewinterizing my 2004 Stingray 200LX yesterday and noticed a very slow drip out of the weep hole. I don't want saltwater mist shooting all in my engine compartment. As the title says, only 101 hours on the boat and the $350 pump appears to be bad :mad: .

I spent about 2 hrs last night researching this topic on this forum. A couple of leaky raw water threads had this question: Are you a saltwater boater? Nobody answered and nobody elaborated on the question. I am a saltwater boater and I know how hard the salt is on everything. Yes, I flush the engine quite thoroughly after every outing. My wife and I spend one hour washing the boat trying to remove as much salt as possible.

1. Is this really about all the time that I can expect out of this pump running in saltwater? It just seems to have gone out way too soon even taking into account the saltwater boating.

2. Any chance that I could rebuild the pump? I'm very mechanical. I have a hydraulic press. My research last night led me to believe that the chance of long term rebuild success is very low :( .

Danny

Get used to it!! Volvo has a major design flaw in their raw water cooling pump. Not only does it need frequent replacement if you do not detect the leak immediately it can ruin the entire engine when the salt water drips on the sepentine belt and creates a salt water mist in the engine box. I have had this happen three times. Volvo representative says they they have never heard of this happening. The parts person says they sell pumps frequently. Three times in 6 years!!! Be on the watch. I have to replace my engine for the third time in 6 years. I am looking at a Crusader engine as an alternative.

Wicked Good2

Recruit

I also have the same problem. 2005, 5.7 Gi-EF, replaced pump at about 130 Hrs. in Oct 2011.

i just rebuilt the pump on my 1999 cobalt. i used a bearing puller to pull the bearing and took it down to the bearing house. they ordered it and i had it the next day. i pressed it onto the shaft and then had to order the oil seal from the iboats store. i think i have about 50 in it saved me from having to buy a 400 pump!

i have the part numbers if they are the same part. mine is a 5.7 ltr

brett

pbar34

Recruit

My 2001 5.0GL was also leaking from the weep hole. I researched this pretty thoroughly including this thread and wasn't sure why our water pumps could NOT be rebuilt. To make a long story short, I successfully replaced the bearing in my water pump. Under $15 for the bearing. Wanted to share the info since every single reference I have found says the pump cannot be rebuilt. Volvo Penta wants around $380 for the complete assembly.

The job was very easy. Used a small gear puller to remove the bearing housing from the pulley assembly and then had to get creative to remove the bearing from its housing. I'll post a picture later since it would be hard to describe how I did this. Went to the local bearing shop and for under $15 had a brand new bearing. Fit like a charm. New seal and every thing is ready to go back on the boat. I'll post the pics and bearing part number for folks future reference.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.