2004 Mercury 115 hp starter

Turpin82

Cadet
I took my old starter off my 2004 mercury 115hp engine. Like an idiot I didn't take any pictures of where the wires go to put it back.
Can someone please help me. I know where the ground wire goes. There are 2 other wires a red and yellow. Not sure where they go but I'm pretty sure they go on the solenoid.

Attachments

• 20210418_155618.jpg
    20210418_155618.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210418_155612.jpg
    20210418_155612.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Never saw your starter buttttt basics tell me that the large black wired lug at the top goes to the engine block if the battery - is attached there or wherever the battery - is connected...has a high current path...like somewhere on the engine block.

The signal wire to cause the solenoid close coming from the control box is probably the yellow wire you mention. On Commander 2000 and 3000 assemblies, it is a yellow wire with a red stripe...red stripe distinguishing it from other yellow wires in the harness used for different purposes having different colored stripes.
The Red will go to the 3/8" copper terminal and may have multiple "friends" needing a place for attachment also, if that stud is used as a 12v distribution point like is the case with my area of association in 2 stroke 3 and 4 cylinder outboards. If yours is wired as such, one if the red wires will be directly from the battery + terminal and will be a large diameter like the black wire I mentioned. The other wires would be a 12v output to different places, and a 12v input from the battery charging rectifier/regulator.

Turpin82

Cadet
Never saw your starter buttttt basics tell me that the large black wired lug at the top goes to the engine block if the battery - is attached there or wherever the battery - is connected...has a high current path...like somewhere on the engine block.

The signal wire to cause the solenoid close coming from the control box is probably the yellow wire you mention. On Commander 2000 and 3000 assemblies, it is a yellow wire with a red stripe...red stripe distinguishing it from other yellow wires in the harness used for different purposes having different colored stripes.
The Red will go to the 3/8" copper terminal and may have multiple "friends" needing a place for attachment also, if that stud is used as a 12v distribution point like is the case with my area of association in 2 stroke 3 and 4 cylinder outboards. If yours is wired as such, one if the red wires will be directly from the battery + terminal and will be a large diameter like the black wire I mentioned. The other wires would be a 12v output to different places, and a 12v input from the battery charging rectifier/regulator.
Thank you. Does the red wire from the battery go on the solenoid?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Engine to battery connections consist of large gauge, AWG 4 maybe, colored red for + and black for - wires. Black usually attaches under a engine block bolt (somewhere on the engine block also being where that large lug at the top of your pictures attaches), and Red goes to that 3/8" copper stud on your solenoid in your pictures......that is the high current 150 amps pk under some conditions when starting, circuit. As I mentioned, that terminal is also a convenient distribution point for 12v throughout the engine/boat electrical/electronics circuitry.