2004 f225 Advise

sctkhouse

Cadet
I am looking at a boat with a f225 Yamaha. After doing some reasearch I see there is a historical issue with internal corrosion for '02-'04's. This one is an '03 and I am concerned about corrosion inspection before I purchase.

Does any one have first hand knowledge of what I should ask the mechanic to inspect to make sure there is not an existing corrosion issue? My thought was to have them pull the thermostats and scope in there and to pull the lower unit and scope the "dry exhaust" area. I figured on doing thermostats and water pump anyway if I pick it up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 2004 f225 Advise

will you be able to take it out for a sea trial before purchase?? I do not know much about corrosion issues, but i do know that these motors can run pretty good and still need thousands in repair work. just a little skip, or off idle stall can cost big money. I would have a Yamaha certified tech check it out if possible.

sctkhouse

Cadet
Re: 2004 f225 Advise

Yes, have a sea trial set for Saturday. A shop is broker for the deal and they are a yamaha certified shop. They have checked for codes and did a drain and clean to the fuel system (and all the filters). Also did plugs and top and bottom oil. I will pay for a final mechanical inspection before closing.