2004 300hp hpdi yamahas- alarm issue

islandbooty

Cadet
port engine causes alarm and shutdown protection anytime i try to run it above about 3800rpm. accelerates well and will run higher rpm for maybe 20-30 seconds, then can hear and see rpms begin to fall, then constant audible alarm. alarm clears as soon as pulled back to neutral, and then can go forward again right away, as long as not above about 3800rpm. I ran around all day sunday but just had to keep the port motor below about 3800.

it cranks easy and sounds well. it has new waterpump and p's real good, heads aren't too hot so i don't think it's an overheat. also i unplugged temp sensors at top of each bank and same prob. oil tanks are full.

any ideas? i know it only runs on some cylinders at lower rpms or idle, maybe that has something to do with it? does the engine recognize a fouled plug, bad coil, insufficient fuel flow, etc? thanks for any help. we have the boat away with us on vacation and can't take to a shop.

p.s. i would say beginning several weeks ago it began seeming like it's idled a little low and would even die periodically at idle, but even then i could run full rpm and didn't have this alarm/shutdown problem until now.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 300hp hpdi yamahas- alarm issue

its dying.
has nothing to do with the alarm but its dying.
most likly you have a clogged remote tank oil filter.
have you looked at the alarm visual indicates on the tach when the horn sounds, thats what they are there for.
engine runs on 4 cylinders only in nuetral.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that engine also has a water detect switch, check the engine fuel filter for water.
cant remember if your model will sound the alarm in gear but the 05 and up will only sound a water detect in nuetral.

islandbooty

Cadet

thanks for the info but I probably wasn't as clear in the original post as I should've been. the engine never dies throughout. when the horn sounds both engines automatically drop down to an idle. Upon pulling the throttles back to neutral, the alarm stops and i regain control of the (running) engines...can put them right back in gear and take off. The remote tank is full and the tank under the hood is staying right between the hi/low marks.

GradyWhite2004

Recruit
Hello - I see this post is almost 12 years ago - but if you see this, would like to find out what you determined to be the problem. I am still running twin 2004 HPDI's and having the same exact issue right now with my port motor.

GradyWhite2004

Recruit

its dying.
has nothing to do with the alarm but its dying.
most likly you have a clogged remote tank oil filter.
have you looked at the alarm visual indicates on the tach when the horn sounds, thats what they are there for.
engine runs on 4 cylinders only in nuetral.
Old post but having this exact issue right now. When mine goes in alarm - it shows as temperature at the gauge and also shows as an overheat on YDS. I have changed T-stats, Thermo switches, and Thermo sensor. Only does it at 3800 and above. Can run 3500/3600 all day - no problem. Also notice smoke or maybe vapor when coming off plane after the alarm. could this be oil related?