2003 Yamaha 2stroke suddenly has no reverse

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
2003 Yam 2 stroke on a pontoon. Last Sat night the wife and I rode 45 minutes up to my cousin's and back. When we left his dock, we had reverse. When we got to our dock, we had reverse. It was windy, so I had to go in and out of reverse a couple of times, but I don't think I abused it... it's not like me to tear things up.

Anyway, the next morning, no reverse. It's making a light ticking, NOT grinding. It did not grind or bang the previous night.

I've adjusted the shift cable to eliminate that possibility. When you shift it, it "snaps" into forward, then to neutral, but nothing into reverse. If I disconnect the cable, I can pull it back so that the prop engages, but it won't stay like it does in forward.

I have no clue beyond very basic knowledge what is normal and what isn't, so I would appreciate a shove in the right direction.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
most of these motors are spring loaded into forward, you have to overcome the spring tension to get into neutral and reverse.

I would drain some lube from the lower unit to make sure there is no water in there.
and then take lower unit apart to see what happened if you are sure all adjustments are correct

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
most of these motors are spring loaded into forward, you have to overcome the spring tension to get into neutral and reverse.

I would drain some lube from the lower unit to make sure there is no water in there.
and then take lower unit apart to see what happened if you are sure all adjustments are correct
Does reverse basically rely upon the cable pushing the rod back under tension until it engages?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I am guessing you are talking about a 2003 50 hp Yamaha.
My BIL had a problem with his 50 not long ago where it did not shift properly.
said they found water in lower unit.
not sure what all they changed but said it cost him $1200 to get it out of shop.
water on bearings and gears is not good
as I said drain a little of the lube out to see if there is water

Yes cable moves linkage which twists a shaft that moves parts down in lower unit

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am guessing you are talking about a 2003 50 hp Yamaha.
My BIL had a problem with his 50 not long ago where it did not shift properly.
said they found water in lower unit.
not sure what all they changed but said it cost him $1200 to get it out of shop.
water on bearings and gears is not good
as I said drain a little of the lube out to see if there is water

Yes cable moves linkage which twists a shaft that moves parts down in lower unit
Thanks... I appreciate the info. I understand how the shifting works; I didn't ask the question very well. I meant, unlike forward, which has a spring to help "pop" it into gear, reverse relies solely on the power of the cable pushing on it to get it into gear? So that adjustment is crucial.

I'll check the lube.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Thanks... I appreciate the info. I understand how the shifting works; I didn't ask the question very well. I meant, unlike forward, which has a spring to help "pop" it into gear, reverse relies solely on the power of the cable pushing on it to get it into gear? So that adjustment is crucial.

I'll check the lube.
yes the shifter has to push against the spring to get it out of forward to go into neutral and to get into reverse. there are detents to help hold neutral and reverse positions once in those positions
going the other way the cam backs off and the spring pushes it back into forward

On my brothers C60, I found the shift shaft twisted and the pin thru the clutch dog was bent.
only way I can think of that happening was someone before he bought the used boat motor, tried forcing the motor into reverse while motor was not running with the dogs not lined up.
someone had also tried adjusting the linkage to make it work, but still was not working correctly

Last edited:

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yes the shifter has to push against the spring to get it out of forward to go into neutral and to get into reverse. there are detents to help hold neutral and reverse positions once in those positions
going the other way the cam backs off and the spring pushes it back into forward

On my brothers C60, I found the shift shaft twisted and the pin thru the clutch dog was bent.
only way I can think of that happening was someone before he bought the used boat motor, tried forcing the motor into reverse while motor was not running with the dogs not lined up.
someone had also tried adjusting the linkage to make it work, but still was not working correctly
Mine seems to suddenly not be pushing back far enough. I can get it to engage by hand, disconnected from the shift cable, but not with the 704. Even adjusted to where the rod end is dangerously loose at the end of the cable (I would never put it into service like that), it won't push back far enough.

Lube in the foot is good...

Thank you again for the great info.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Mine seems to suddenly not be pushing back far enough. I can get it to engage by hand, disconnected from the shift cable, but not with the 704. Even adjusted to where the rod end is dangerously loose at the end of the cable (I would never put it into service like that), it won't push back far enough.

Lube in the foot is good...

Thank you again for the great info.
that was the problem with the C60 I talked about ,
need to inspect the shaft if the cable is good

pic of the c60s lower part of shift shaft I pulled out of the lower unit
1657464603860.png

Last edited: