2003 yamaha 250 saltwater series II alarm

Crowiv

Cadet
I have a 2002 intrepid with twin 2003 250 saltwater series II and was out this weekend dolphin fishing and after about 3 boys of trolling, I got an alarm on my port motor. My digital guage was showing the three oil level bars flashing. Thinking I was low on oil I put a gallon in and restarted the engine and the alarm was still on. Shut it off again an checked the oil tank which was half full. If I just turned on the key the alarm was on and would not go off. I limped back in on one motor and when in calmer water raised the motor but no obstructions. When I got back to the house, I turned the key on and there was no alarm. Any idea what kind of problem I have? Is is possible I have an oil sensor which was not functioning and raising the motor fixed? Thanks for any help.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2003 yamaha 250 saltwater series II alarm

oil transfer alarm.

the engine oil tank is low, there is enough oil in the remote tank that automatic oil transfer should have occured.
check the filter at the bottom of the remote tank outlet for restrictions.
its possible to have a slow transfer due to a restriction that will allow the tank to refill at low speeds but the engine will consume it faster than the transfer can occur at high speeds thus triggering an occasional high speed alarm that will quit shortly after its brought back to idle.
normally if it actually overheated it will take 10-15 min to cool that chunk of aluminum lower than about 155 degrees to shut off the overheat audible.
The engine oil tank got too low, the remote oil tank had oil in it and the transfer did not happen fast enough.

here's a similar post with testing procedures.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288110

Thumbs up on the Intrepid!

Crowiv

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply! And the possible quick and cheap solution! Something else dawned on me while reading your reply: lately the port engine has been using less oil that the starbord, could that be due to a flow restriction which was getting worse finally resulting in my experience this weekend? I'll postthe results of my investigation.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what cousinabe says.
3 bars flashing means the system malfunctioned and is trying to alert the operator.
but ya gotta quit with the sensor thing.
your oiling system has NO sensors.
it has a 3 position switch in the engine tank for transfer pump on,pump off and alarm condition on.
the remote tank has a switch that is closed if oil level is sufficient for transfer and open when remote tank level is low.
low remote and the center bar or yellow lamp is illuminated and automatic transfer is inhibited and there is enough oil for about 2 manual transfers.
NEVER remove the engine oil tank switch/screen assy to fill the engine tank.
if the switch/screen assy is removed make sure all the oil has been manually drained Via the water trap and the screen seal is retrieved and a new seal installed.