Updated: Cylinder 1 issues!!!!

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok so i have my first trouble of the season, and yes my season is offically over. My 1983 Chrysler FORCE 85 HP dies when i try to put it in reverse gear and will only slow idle at 3000 RPM and anything over that it dies. It was also giving me fits when i tried to restart, i have to restart in high idle and then it runs. BTW, it high idles at 4000 RPM which seems way high but propably ok. How i plan to start trouble shooting tomorrow so your advice would be apprecaited.

1st- Compression Check
2nd Spark check- would old spark plugs cause this, I havent replaced them this season. Whats the best way to test spark, should i buy a timing light?
3rd- Take the prop to the prop shop for general repairs and have them check hub----Needed to do this anyway.

So gut reaction is i lost spark on a cylinder, last time i check compression was 125 on each cylinder so hopefully its still ok.

I am pretty sure fuel wasnt the problem, i replace the fuel pump diaphram and the bulb was hard during the whole event. However, i havent check the valves, do you think they could be stuck shut?

Thanks guys i apprecate the help.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: YAY, first issues of the season and its October

FIRST THING: Clean or replace plugs. I can't tell you how many problems fouled plugs cause.

As I have repeatedly said in the past: Because of the ignition systems on these engines, the spark is weakest just when you need it the most--at start and idle. At high speeds, the spark generated is strong enough to fire through fouled plugs and the engine runs fine even though it will not idle or start easily. So: with idle or starting problems, the primary step is to clean or replace the sparkplugs.

Then, if changing plugs does not help, look for other causes.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

THanks frank, i checked the spark plugs and yes they were fouled, but since ihad the compression guage out i just checked anyway

Here are the results top to bottom

I think i have a blown head gasket becuase when i checked the top cylinder it would go to 75 then it would hear a hissing sound sounded like it came from the block. I put my ear to the guage and connections and heard nothing but i heard the hissing close to the block. Would a blown head gasket cause this sort of problem im having? Currently its just sealed with black RTV and not a offical gasket, Thanks for the help.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Jack Jack Jack Jack Jack! You know the answer to this. There are only three reasons for low compression. Do I need to state the obvious?

While it is possible to eliminate the head gasket to increase compression and use silicone RTV to seal the water passages, you must first groove the head to accept a 1/16 thick Viton or Teflon O ring approximately 3 1/2 in diameter to seal compression and combustion pressures.

Oh, OK! Low compression is due to a leaking head gasket, stuck rings, or damaged piston or cylinder liner. OK, Ok-- Technically four reasons.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK frank, well i think ill get a new gasket for the head, also just put the new spark plugs in and shes doing the same thing. I checked spark, i have no spark on #1 and very slight spark on #2. #3 is bright and blue on the spark tester. So i am assuming i have a bad CD module the first one controls cylinder one and two. Please correct me if im wrong. But to me it looks like my next step is to run cylinders 1 and 2 with the second CD codule to determine if its the module. Thanks for the help guys, let me know if i am on the right track.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPDATE:

So I went ahead and took of the head to take a look at the cylinders (no scoring or groves, piston heads not dark or pitted), the gasket was shot between the number 1 and number 2 cylinders. One more thing i noticed, number 1 cylinder had red stuff (appeared to be rust) in the cylinder and on the head of cylinder 1. So i would assume i am getting water in cylider 1. Now my question is, is the red normal? if not like i assume, where is the water coming from, and finally, i have a rebuilt power head sitting on my garage shelf that is ready to roll, should i just swap it out and dig into the old one later? THanks again.

Reboot11133

Seaman
Re: Updated: Cylinder 1 issues!!!!

A leaking head gasket could allow water into the cylinder. I would just replace the head gasket after removing the rust and check compression.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one on order as we speak, would the low compression issues also cause my low spark issues?

Reboot11133

Seaman

Sorry but that is a different issue. Did you try swapping the CD modules? Check the resistance of the coils and see if you get the same readings on all 3 of them. You may want to take a good look at the plug in connectors from the trigger and stator to the CD modules. These seem like the weak link in the whole design. I find that they don't make a very good solid connection and may be the cause of all the failures you read about. If running the motor without the spark plugs grounded for checking compression can blow the CD modules, would an unreliable connection at these plug in connectors not also be a concern. When you plug these together they should feel tight. If not maybe changing to single bullet or spade connectors would be more reliable. Just my 2 cents...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sorry to hijack, Jack, but I have been looking for a year now. Who is the girl? She is very easy on the eyes.---Almost as good looking as my wife! SHHHH! She's standing behind me LOL

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you have low comp and then a bad gasket.That is probably the culprit.Then change it out.If you let it set with the rust in it you will be doing more than just replacing the head gasket.
You need to figure out why it went bad. I have twin 88/85s and my port motor would blow a gasket every year and always the same spot would go bad. The head LOOKED fine but after using a straight edge I found there was a very small depression there causing the head gasket to carbon at that spot and burn and let water in.I had the head milled and it works great.Jerry

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ill check the head tonight, and i sprayed fogging oil all over the innards which will hopefully clean out the residual rust and keep her lubbed up while i wait for the new gasket.

Frank, the girl in the picture is scarlet johansen, shes an actress, i to think is absoulutely gorgeous, she has that classic look to her that i love.