2003 Honda BF50 LRTA wiring help!!!!

ahicks

Captain
Earlier, I went out and grabbed a control and a wiring harness, brought them to my desk and tried to line them up on both your harness and your control. I couldn't get anything to match up anywhere on your diagrams.

I knew the smaller motors were different, but I've never messed with them to know much more. I was surprised by your harness with the round motor connection. I've never seen one that wouldn't work.

I can tell you that the older controls and harnesses will work on the fuel injected engines. Functions missing will be idiot lights. Older stuff uses 2 lights, where the newer uses 4, and of course there's the choke switch issue.

I took a minute to see what I would do if in your shoes. Did a lot of digging in my favorite places to look for used, and found nothing. Then I started thinking new, just how expensive would that be? Came up with this part number -

Honda 24800-ZY3-000

It would appear this is one of the early designs where the harness does NOT unplug from the control. The 45's were only built for a year, and that was early on. That's a good thing as there's no worry about color matching. Motor model number compatibility checks out - the 50 is fine.

I would call to confirm that this control does come with the harness and that it is still available - for sure. I am 99.999% sure this will work with your motor.

Where I would go to get it -

73 Dolphin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for checking that out!! Last week I called and emailed Honda and they just sent me back to the engine diagram that didnt have any part info on it. Not sure how you found that but I'm glad you did!! It's crazy how Honda hasn't kept the basic engine to control info. Once a part is no longer available they just remove the part number so you cant even search for used!! I never have any trouble finding a part number for any other brand going back to the 70s! I'll check it out and eventually report back when it's up and running!! Thanks again for all of the time and effort you've put in to help!!