2003 Four Winns 378 Vista---rookie boater with lots of questions

hangover

Recruit
Being the crazy kid i am i did not test the boating waters with a small boat but jumped in with this 37 footer twin 8.1' s. The boat itself was a 'GOOD" deal..it was a bank repo but the down side is no real support. The boat is stripped of owners manuals, shore power cords, stereo face plates etc. I printed a owners manual from Four Wins but think that the lack of info is staggering. First question: The dock i have it at has a single 30 amp outlet...mu Four Winns has 2 30 amp outlets...do i need to buy a y cord for 30 amps to run it or will i blow breakers left and right ? Will i not be able to run A/c if i only plug into 1 boat plug in ? Trying to figure out what cords to buy. Next question is the water in the boat has antifreeze added to it. How do i discharge the water ? How do i flush it ? It appears that it non toxic rv type antifreeze. I am open and appreciative of any help at all.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 2003 Four Winns 378 Vista---rookie boater with lots of questions

Being the crazy kid i am i did not test the boating waters with a small boat but jumped in with this 37 footer twin 8.1' s. The boat itself was a 'GOOD" deal..it was a bank repo but the down side is no real support. The boat is stripped of owners manuals, shore power cords, stereo face plates etc. I printed a owners manual from Four Wins but think that the lack of info is staggering. First question: The dock i have it at has a single 30 amp outlet...mu Four Winns has 2 30 amp outlets...do i need to buy a y cord for 30 amps to run it or will i blow breakers left and right ? Will i not be able to run A/c if i only plug into 1 boat plug in ? Trying to figure out what cords to buy. Next question is the water in the boat has antifreeze added to it. How do i discharge the water ? How do i flush it ? It appears that it non toxic rv type antifreeze. I am open and appreciative of any help at all.

Friend, you took a helluva big bite of the apple. Contact the nearest Four Winns dealer and ask them to recommend someone local that you can hire for a day to show you the ropes and put together a list of all the stuff you're gonna need. You need a pro. Once you understand the basics, you need to find a marina and mechanic that will help you maintain it.

Lastly, hire a captain to teach you to use that boat. A 10-ton vehicle with no brakes is not the place to screw around and learn as you go. I hope you took a safe boating class.

My .02

aguyindallas

Cadet
Re: 2003 Four Winns 378 Vista---rookie boater with lots of questions

Marinco makes a single 30amp to dual 30 amp splitter. Its available at your usual places like West Marine, Amazon.com etc...I briefly had to use one when mine in a smaller slip that only had a single 30amp output. You will still need to purchase appropriate length 30amp shore power cables. If you only have one cable, you could connect it into the ships systems input and it would all things on your AC circuit, EXCEPT the Air/Heat.

The above poster is giving good advice...grab a local with a big boat to help you make a grocery list. Here are some starters:

1. 2 x 30amp shore power cords
2. 1 x single 30amp to dual 30amp splitter
3. 12 x 25ft 1/2" dock lines. You will want 6 to remain tied to your slip/dock (assuming you stay in a slip with mooring cleats on each side) and 6 to be on the boat so you can visit other docks/marinas and/or raft up with other boats.
4. 6 x boat fenders of appropriate size for your boat. Probably the 10" diameter would be best (I like overkill).
5. 6 x fender lines to tie your fenders with.
6. 2 x fire extinguisher. One for the cabin, one for the cockpit.
7. 1 x Coast Guard approved throwable cushion for flotation.
8. A logical assortment of appropraite sized life vests for everyone.
9. A telescopic boat hook. These are GREAT to help hold you on or off of a dock, piling, help you grab your ropes to tie with etc...

I know there are several more things to consider, but thats a great starting point!