2003 Blazer Bay 2170 Front Side Storage Lids

LJLKRL

Cadet
I have an 03 blazer bay 2170 and the cushions on the side storage compartments keep splitting at the seams. The thread keeps rotting and the vinyl separates at the stitching.
I have had them re-stitched a few times already and it costs me $100 each time I have this done.
I am considering using one white piece of vinyl to recover them so there are no stitches, but people always step on them and I think they may be better not cushioned.

Has anyone seen the inside of these lids with the vinyl off? I wonder what the inside of the structure looks like?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2003 Blazer Bay 2170 Front Side Storage Lids

I have an 03 blazer bay 2170 and the cushions on the side storage compartments keep splitting at the seams. The thread keeps rotting and the vinyl separates at the stitching.
I have had them re-stitched a few times already and it costs me $100 each time I have this done.
I am considering using one white piece of vinyl to recover them so there are no stitches, but people always step on them and I think they may be better not cushioned.

Has anyone seen the inside of these lids with the vinyl off? I wonder what the inside of the structure looks like?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Post up some pictures of yer's, both sides, 'n We'll give ya some Ideas,...

LJLKRL

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Post up some pictures of yer's, both sides, 'n We'll give ya some Ideas,...

Ok, these are pictures I took a while back when I was asking someone about making some hard lids for these compartments.
The lids are cushioned. I am thinking I might be able to remove the vinyl and cushions and just recover the hard base with vinyl, but am not sure what it looks like under the cushion.
Both are torn now at the seams, so I will probably take the vinyl off of one of them this weekend and take a look at it.
I would be happy with hard covers and no vinyl, but I don't know how to paint them to match the splatter finish on the boat. White would probably be fine though since I am going to use plain white vinyl to recover them and do away with the stitching.

Attachments

• 20130218_174523_resized_1.jpg
    20130218_174523_resized_1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130218_174534_resized_1.jpg
    20130218_174534_resized_1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130218_174553_resized_1.jpg
    20130218_174553_resized_1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ok, these are pictures I took a while back when I was asking someone about making some hard lids for these compartments.
The lids are cushioned. I am thinking I might be able to remove the vinyl and cushions and just recover the hard base with vinyl, but am not sure what it looks like under the cushion.
Both are torn now at the seams, so I will probably take the vinyl off of one of them this weekend and take a look at it.
I would be happy with hard covers and no vinyl, but I don't know how to paint them to match the splatter finish on the boat. White would probably be fine though since I am going to use plain white vinyl to recover them and do away with the stitching.

Ayuh,.... If ya pull the hinge from the hull, 'n pull all the staples outa the vinyl, the vinyl, 'n cushion will come right off,...

Leavin' a piece of plywood,...

If the plywood ain't rotten, you can paint it, or resin, 'n glass cover it, then paint it, whatever color ya choose,.....

If the plywood Is rotten, cut new pieces, 'n proceed as above,...

LJLKRL

Cadet

Ayuh,.... If ya pull the hinge from the hull, 'n pull all the staples outa the vinyl, the vinyl, 'n cushion will come right off,...

Leavin' a piece of plywood,...

If the plywood ain't rotten, you can paint it, or resin, 'n glass cover it, then paint it, whatever color ya choose,.....

If the plywood Is rotten, cut new pieces, 'n proceed as above,...

Any particular brand or type of paint I should use?

Bondo

Staff member

Any particular brand or type of paint I should use?

Ayuh,.... I'd probably use Rustoleum enamel over resin, 'n glassed panels,...

Resin, 'n glass for strength, 'n durability, 'n Rustoleum cause it's cheap covers real well, 'n wears like iron once it finally dies/ hardens,...