2003 90HP driving me crazy

zuup_2000

Seaman
2003 90HP tracker 2-stroke. The boat sat for 2 years and was not prepped for storage at all (if you know what I mean). I removed all three carbs, dip cleaned and purchased rebuild kits. The carbs are spotless, and Im 100% sure all ports are free of build up. I also cleaned and purchased a fuel pump rebuild kit. Replaced fuel filter, and replaced a couple fuel lines that looked weathered.
New plugs, fresh gas, and this pile O crap will not idle at all. It seems to be dropping 1 or 2 cylinders (mainly 1) at idle. Even running at around 2000rpms it still only wants to run on 2 cylinders, and sometimes kick in the third. Spit, sputter etc. I have used a timing light on each cylinder while running, and spark does not change at all. It stays strong and consistent on all three cylinders no matter how rough its running. This points back to fuel issues. The adjustment screws were set at 1 1/4 turns out, which is where I put them at after the rebuild. Ive ajdusted them in and out a little at a time, but it doesnt help. Has anyone ever had reed valves get sticky and not want to open like they should. This is all I can think of that would cause this.
Compression is 105 on all 3 cylinders.
FYI, It took a pair of pliers to get the needle valve out of the bottom carb, so you can imagine how nasty it was.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 2003 90HP driving me crazy

How is the motor trimmed at idle?

Rear hung floats are somewhat sensitive to negetive trim angle, having a tendency to flood at idle/low throttle settings.

Did you clean all the recirc hoses and fittings?

Last, are you certain that ALL of the idle/transition ports are clear, there may be 4 or 5 ports under that flat plate on top of the carb, opening thru to the inside immediately above the closed throttle plate.

zuup_2000

Seaman

This is with the motor trimmed all the way down.

As far as the carbs being clean, Yes. The two sets of tiny ports (one set before the throttle plate, and one after) are spotless. The tube that feeds those ports is spotless.

I have not touched the recirc hoses and fittings. They must be tucked behind the oil resv. I guess thats my next step.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure the motor is exactly vertical, motor trimmed all the way down may not be exactly vertical.

I would check reed valves, I would also drain the carbs and make sure the fuel coming out is all fresh. If not, you may have to clean them again.