2003 2 stroke 90 fuel pump replacement

btucker805

Recruit
Hi all, first time poster. I'm going to replace the fuel pump on my 2003 2 stroke 90 oil injection because it started spurting gas out the sides last time we took it out. Got the new pump kit and it looks like they redesigned it. Instead of having a hose connect directly from the oil pump to the fuel pump, there is a fuel hose with a Y that you run the oil line hose into. Other than that, it looks pretty straightforward. Has anyone done this job and have any tips? the Y hose isn't all that long, so I got a fuel hose connector and hose clamps to attach it to the current fuel lines. Also, the kit instructions say to use perfect seal, which I can't seem to find, but got Permatex aviation form a gasket instead. Is this the preferred substitute? Thanks a lot.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like you got something that is not OEM. Should have simply bought a gasket/diaphragm kit and rebuilt your original pump. Can't go wrong that way. It's the gaskets and diaphragm that goes bad not the metal housing.

btucker805

Recruit
It's definitely the oem replacement, they discontinued the original pump design, and went to this one. I thought about trying to rebuild, but its possible the rebuild kit available is for the newer style pump and would not work with my older one. Plus, the new one came with all new hoses and a check valve which I was going to replace to begin with. I'm also more of a replacement mechanic and wouldn't feel comfortable doing a rebuild solo.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, that kit has the gaskets and check valves for the square pumps, plus the diaphragm for the older "figure 8" pumps. Why is that?

btucker805

Recruit
I believe that is the correct rebuild kit, the kit I ordered was 14360A78, looked up by serial number. I just can't seem to find any information on the web about my old fuel pump that has a direct line to the oil pump, and this new one that has the oil pump line feed into the gas line before it enters the fuel pump body. It looks like the original pump has been superseded about 10 times by a new part. I'll attach some pictures. The first is my engine, the lower of the two hoses connects directly to the oil pump. The diagram is from the instructions on the new pump, it shows the hose coming from the oil pump connecting to 'G' which leads to the fuel tank.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 5

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
This is the kit you would use to rebuild your old pump as oil mixed in pump where new kit injects into fuel line like newer engines. Many engines damaged due to wrong kit installed as pump has to have the holes in diaphragm to mix
1699699379822.png

btucker805

Recruit
This is the kit you would use to rebuild your old pump as oil mixed in pump where new kit injects into fuel line like newer engines. Many engines damaged due to wrong kit installed as pump has to have the holes in diaphragm to mix
View attachment 391695
Is there any danger in just installing the new style pump instead of rebuilding the old one?