2002 bay liner capri wiring woes

Codfish1968

Recruit
Recently picked up a new to me 2002 capri 160. Nice boat and perfect for myself and my wife at the cabin. Has a 50 Mercury 2 stroke.

Here’s my dilemma.

Only thing electrical on the boat itself that works is the ignition and the dash lights. The horn, anchor light, nav light, and bilge pump not working. The circuit breakers (on the dash) are good, verified by checking the continuity. The bulbs themselves are good. As is the horn. The bilge pump I haven’t actually checked. Need to be a contortionist to get to it!! Battery is brand new.

I have a wiring diagram from online that shows fuses and circuit breakers. Breakers I can find. Only fuse I can see, near the battery is the 30 amp main fuse, which is good.

Are there fuses hidden somewhere else? And I’m assuming that these items work with the key just turned to the run position?? Doesn’t need to be running for this stuff to work right?

Any suggestions as to what else to check?? The wiring is all in very excellent shape. Boat never used in salt water.

Thanks
Codfishimage.jpg

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'll start with one question. You said "The circuit breakers (on the dash) are good, verified by checking the continuity". Did you verify there was 12v at the breakers?

Codfish1968

Recruit
Thanks for the reply.

Only had power to the ignition breaker. Other three nothing.

Traced the main power wire back to the fuse holder. No power on that at various spots from the dash back to the fuse holder at the battery. Power on the battery side of the fuse holder. No power on the other side(with fuse installed of course).

Turned out to be a bad connection/broken wire inside the fuse holder!! The previous owner had it installed in a manner that the wires were pulled kinda tight.

Perfect. I’ll get another fuse holder tomorrow and it’ll be ready for the lake again!!!

Thanks
Codfish