2002 5.0GL-B 305 Distributor

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question for you smart guys. I have a 2002 Glastron 5.0GL-B. (305cid) I am having what I understand to be as ignition problems. Per the attached picture, reference item "E" the pick up coil, does not move freely. I may be old school, but I was under the impression that this pickup should move freely for the advance curve.

The issues I am having is am immediate stutter, then runs fine, if I vary the RPM it goes away. It is not fuel related, that I know. I did remove the ignition module, and the thermal grease was almost gone so I reapplied. Just curious about the pick up coil.
Distributor breakdown.jpg

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
We got the sound but no vid
That's interesting.. The video shows me rotating the pick up coil, you can here friction as it rotates. its not free, nor smooth. Its the same as the dizzy currently in my boat. I am not sure hoe the advance mechanism works on this distributor. I was thinking due to the fiction, it wasn't allowing the timing to return to "static" (10*) and that was causing my stumbling issue.

Bondo

Staff member
That's interesting.. The video shows me rotating the pick up coil, you can here friction as it rotates. its not free, nor smooth. Its the same as the dizzy currently in my boat. I am not sure hoe the advance mechanism works on this distributor. I was thinking due to the fiction, it wasn't allowing the timing to return to "static" (10*) and that was causing my stumbling issue.
Ayuh,.... It should be static, as the advance is done electronically, no springs, no movement inside the distributor,....

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well that makes sense, because there is no springs according to the diagram in my first post. What controls the advance? It’s a pretty basic system. It’s either the coil underneath at the base of the distributor or to the ignition module itself.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
The module under the distributor I reapply thermal grease I’m gonna try it and see if that is the problem by not dissipating heat. I’m just not sure how the advance curve works on these distributors

alldodge

Staff member
It all deals with width of rotor and dizzy cap electrode width. While the 10 inch diameter damper outside circumference moves maybe an inch in one revolution to get 10* of advance. The rotor being half the diameter and moving 1/2 the distance (2 revs of the crank for one dizzy) needs to move much less to fire for the same advance