2002 5.0 GXI Cooling System Service

csukraw

Seaman Apprentice
275 hours, engine fully serviced end of last season with new impeller and new water pump. About 5 trips and around 20-30 flawless hours since then. A few weeks back on a sunset cruise in Havasu I hear an alarm, 2 beeps every couple seconds, temp gauge showed just above 180 (standard is typically around 160). Shut it down. Get home and check impeller (see pic). I would think it should still be good since it's been less than one season, but will replace anyways. Next I check the thermostat, discovered it had never been replaced since paint on bolts and around seam was flawless. Glad I checked, full of sand and rocks and didn't open or close smoothly, definitely a contributing factor (see pics). Replacing as well.

Aside from these, anything else I should do or check since the cooling system seems like it has been neglected aside from the impeller? Any way to flush the system to remove anymore sand and rocks?

Also, should I use gasket sealer when I install the new thermostat and gasket?

Attachments

• impeller.JPG
    impeller.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • thermostat_housing.JPG
    thermostat_housing.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • thermostat.JPG
    thermostat.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

alldodge

Staff member
Care to elaborate on process for that?
Hose comes from the raw water pump or thermostat housing.
Remove and place garden hose i=on the end and flush backwards toward the outdrive

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Manifolds & exhaust elbows….are the cooling passages getting clogged?

Water had to get IN, pick up heat from the engine & exhaust but it must also get OUT….that’s where the exhaust comes in….

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah. Guys above have it right. Back flush it and you’ll be good. I’d also check that the oil cooler and it’s hoses and fittings, that is usually positioned in line, between the inner transom supply pipe and the water pump, is ok.