2002 200 hp EFI Mercury Saltwater

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just purchased a new boat. I was forced to go with the 200 hp EFI Mercury Saltwater outboard. I've owned only Yamahas 115 Saltwater and 40 Hp. They were both great engines. Any concerns about the Mercury EFI. Should I have gone with the Optimax?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2002 200 hp EFI Mercury Saltwater

Merc has been doing EFI since the very late 80s.The perks are turn key start and better fuel economy over carb.Don't be regretfull of your choice.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks HONDON,<br /><br />I thought this was the case. Haven't seen many complaints about the Mercury EFI's on the board. I guess no news is really good news. :)

Duckbay

Cadet

I'm not trying to to start something here.<br /><br />But I think you may have made a wise choice.<br /><br />A friend in a commercial application, put 800Hrs on his first powerhead and 1100 on his second, on an Optimax 225. He does not like the engine at all and has swapped it out.<br /><br />I'm sure the present Optimax's are good for recreational duty, but commercial duty may be suspect.<br /><br />It would be interesting to know what the fellows who work on them day in and day out, have to say?<br /><br />David.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just took delivery on my new boat with the 200 HP Mercury EFI. My old engine was carburated...What a difference EFI makes!!! No more stalling when cold, no more playing with the throttle and choke. Very happy so far, just have to get used to the different sound a Merc makes versus a Yamaha (my old engine). :cool:

fbait4562

Cadet

I just traded a pair of Mercury 225 EFI for the 225 Optimax. The fuel economy is the biggest difference, with the optimax saving at leats 35%. The EFIs tend to like the gas. Other than that they are great engines

clarkecars

Recruit

I've had a 200 Saltwater for nearly 7 years now it has never let me down. I will likely always buy North American engines for a number of reasons, both Mercury and Evinrude have given me fantastic service. This engine has sat for nearly a year at a time (had Sta-bil in the gas of course) and it has always started and run fine.