2001 xl head is pitted. Is it shot?

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was having some high temp issues (discussed previously) and ended up pulling the heads to check for a blockage - none found. The parts came this week so I started cleaning up the heads and found a lot of corrosion when I pulled the o-rings. I cleaned them out with a brass wire brush and was finishing off with a scotchbrite pad when I realized that there was some pitting in the groove where the o-ring sits. I am guessing this was allowing moisture and air through the seal which would lower compression and, I'm guessing, allow hot exhaust gas to go directly into the water jacket thereby raising the temps. I was seeing about 200 degrees at idle.

So...are these shot? Do I need to find someone to TIG weld and machine them? Can I just add a healthy dose of gasket sealer? Maybe that aluminum brazing rod they always sell at boat shows (and Harbor Freight)?

Attachments

• photo318730.jpg
    photo318730.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo318731.jpg
    photo318731.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have seen worse...new O-rings and head bolts and you should be good....

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, Faztbullet! RTV or gasket sealer on the o-rings or just 2 stroke oil?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Run em threw your fingers with some white lithium..just need em shiny and no globs. Use new heads bolt if your are the torque to yield ones.