2001 Waverunner XL800 Issues

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I purchased this boat after it had sat in storage for 3 years. Drained the fuel as best I could. Changed filter and plugs and finally got it to start. Took it out on the water and it ran great for about an hour. It suddenly lost most of its power and I limped it back to the dock. After I shut it off I could not get it started again. So, I took it home and rebuilt the carbs. Took it back out and it ran great for another hour plus. Then shut off at full throttle. I came to a stop and was able to fire it right up. Ran great again for about 3 minutes then it felt like I lost a cylinder. At full throttle it ran about 1/3 of the speed. No debris in jet etc. So I figured it was a coil issue. Ordered a coil but before I replaced it I checked compression. Zero in the front cylinder and 80 in the rear. I am going to tear it back apart and assess the damage. Maybe an oil line came off. Who knows. I guess my question is has anyone run into something similar? Should I tear the carb apart again? I am at the point that I am going to check the entire top end and hope for minimal damage. Do I have to remove the entire engine or can it be serviced in the hull? I know it can be a number of things but any thoughts/info/words of encouragement will help. Thanks!?

Scott06

Admiral
Suspect it ran lean and it detonated based on what you are metioning with runablility issues then carb cleanings . Yes engine will have to come out

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like it’s ran lean, oil line came off or perished, or the power valve has dropped into the piston and done damage. Those would be the main reasons for this. Dead easy to rebuild thankfully. Get rid of that oil injection system and pre mix.