2001 F115 running fine then stalls....

smann

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
39
took to the lake today and a couple of times I was running and my 2001 F115 stalled. The final time it seemed worse than the others. i idled out of a cove got on a plane then the motor stalled out. I cranked it and idled for a minute gave throttle then it died again. Cranked it again, idled and gradually gave throttle and it ran like a champ. Any thoughts on what the issue is, if any? New gas 2 weeks ago, marine stabil with fill up, new oil in March, new impeller in march.
 

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
20,066
Re: 2001 F115 running fine then stalls....

either you cant keep the VST tank full due to a restriction,airleak or bad lift pump. or the VST filter is clogged.
 

smann

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
39
Re: 2001 F115 running fine then stalls....

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the VST filter located and is it a do it your self cleaning job. I'm pretty handy.
 

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
20,066
Re: 2001 F115 running fine then stalls....

the Vapor seperator is behind the intake manifold.
requires intake removal to access.
 

smann

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
39
Re: 2001 F115 running fine then stalls....

either you cant keep the VST tank full due to a restriction,airleak or bad lift pump. or the VST filter is clogged.

So an airleak could have been the culprit?

On my Pathfinder there was a gas overflow that broke. I had it covered with a cap and taped, pretty much airtight. I removed the cap to fill up. When I went Saturday I had not replaced the cap since my fillup. I imagine that would allow air to the tank, therefore causing the trouble. Does that sound reasonable? I replaced the cap and hopefully will not have any other issues. Thanks for your help!!
 
Top