2001 Chevy Suburban - bad transmission

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2001 Chevy 2500 2 wheel drive Suburban that has never shifted smoothly in to reverse since new. It seems to take a second or more at a complete stop to engage and then when you give it some gas it either slips slightly or goes in with a jolt.<br />I took it back to the dealer at 2500 km for a service and for them to check it out and after 6 days in the shop (with no loner) they said there was no problem. I have had it back to two different dealers and all have looked at it, taken days to try and fix it, but it’s still the same.<br />The vehicle has 35,000 km and the warranty (which is not worth the paper it’s written on in Mexico) runs out at 40K and I’m sure they will nail me after the warranty expires.<br />The GM, Ford and Chrysler dealerships in Mexico City are Mafia crooks who charge horrendous prices for the simplest things ($150 for an oil/filter and lube job) and are all in cahoots. They can never finish the basic service in a day and always nail you for something not covered by the warranty. (Brake job at 25K, new ball joints, alignment and balancing at 30K).<br /><br />Anyone out there got a 2001 Suburban and experienced problems with the transmission.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Peter

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 2001 Chevy Suburban - bad transmission

The service bulletin #01-07-30-038 doc#833367 refers to shift problems with 2001 suburbans.....The fix ain't pretty. It refers to complete disassembly of valve body and case to clean out debris, filings etc. The bulletin didn't refer to reverse, but when debris is an issue, any symptom is possible... :(

GarageGuy42

Seaman
Re: 2001 Chevy Suburban - bad transmission

Well Mr. Lost<br />Don't know if you will get this post because of the date. I try hard not be a tranny man,but the best thing you could do is stay away from the dealers and go to a legitimate trans shop. There are a lot of warranty's that cover outside work. I don't know what you have so I don't know.<br />I do a lot of warranty work that are bought with a new purchase but like I said I don't know what you have. Anyway, I would get into the states and have something done unless you have a lot of surplus cash to have substandard work. Not being a smarta**, just relaying what I know.