2001 175 Ocean pro Low Rpms and bogging down .

Basshunter69

Cadet
I have a 2001 175 Johnson last time I took it out . I notice half way through the day that at Low rpms I had to use the choke to keep it running idling around scanning fish spots . And it was spudering and popping when in neutral . At wide open it only run 4800 rpms but normally it would be at 5400. Then it was bogging down when I would try to get on plane . Had to push the choke in then it took off . Also had to use the choke to get it on the trailer or it would bogg down . Is this a bad fuel situation or sucking air, dirty carbs , or fuel pump ?
Thank you in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did it run for you last season ?----My advice is always the same , start with a compression test.----If you have to use the primer valve it points to a fuel issue.-----The primer valve ( wrongly called a choke ) injects fuel directly into the airstream.----This fuel bypasses the metering circuits in the carburetor.----Clean / inspect carburetors.----Float bowls are notorious for warping.

Basshunter69

Cadet
How did it run for you last season ?----My advice is always the same , start with a compression test.----If you have to use the primer valve it points to a fuel issue.-----The primer valve ( wrongly called a choke ) injects fuel directly into the airstream.----This fuel bypasses the metering circuits in the carburetor.----Clean / inspect carburetors.----Float bowls are notorious for warping.
Going to pick up a compression tester today . It really never gets shut down . It has been progressing the last few months. Thank you for your reply.

Basshunter69

Cadet
So after I picked up a harbor feight compression tester it shows to have 75 lbs. Of compression. I dialed my air compresser in to 90 lbs. And used a rubber tip and shot air into the tester and it read 86 lbs.
Am I doing something wrong. I would expect my motor have more problems than bogging with say 70lb. Of compression. Gets on plane fast . I think I am more confused now than I was before . All 6 pistons where with in 3 lbs of each other .