2000 yamaha waverunner xl700 clicking

Tom 2022

Recruit
Looking for some help. Picked up a new ski a few weeks ago and it was a non runner. Drained the old fuel, new battery and plugs and it ran like a champ. The first day on the lake I start/stopped it a bunch of times.
The next day it started a handful of times then died on me. Dead battery.
I replaced the stator and put everything back together. It ran for about 30 seconds on the hose then I shut it off. I went to start it again and it fired up to. I remembered that I had changed the oil lines (I primed them up to the carbs) so I wanted to be sure it was flowing into the carbs. Tried to start it again and all I get is a clicking from the solenoid. I have power on the hot side, pressed the start button and got power to the other side.
I checked for continuity on the negative side of the starter solenoid in the electrical box and it was ok.
Any idea what I should check next?
Thank you in advance for the help!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. If all is well with your starting procedure when on the trailer and off the water hose…it can only be to do with the battery connections or starter system…
But being fairly well familiar with these skis and loads similar over the years…please forgive me for saying or suggesting the following…if you are too…
Without doubt…the most common cause of these things not starting or appearing to lock up or click, when on the trailer and on the cooling garden hose…is almost always because of perhaps the unaware owners getting the procedure a little wrong.
So, if for example you have turned the water hose on before starting the engine, you will almost certainly flood the engine cylinders with water and cause a hydro lock situation. Equally so if you have ran the engine and then stopped it before turning the water hose off beforehand. Just a thought.