2000 Yamaha high thrust FT50BET Prime start

richfras

Recruit
Hi does anyone have a good description of the operation of the Yamaha prime start system for a 2000 Yamaha 50 four stroke? I have checked the manual and it would appear the choke solenoid needs a signal from the thermoswitch to operate? does this mean in a normal condition the choke is on and as the engine warms it goes off? also what is the function of the electrothermal ram and how does it interact with the choke solenoid? Any help would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• Capture yam.PNG
    Capture yam.PNG
    132.8 KB · Views: 3

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Best I can tell,
the start switch, when turned to the start position sends power to the thermal switch 2 with the brown wire .
if the Thermal switch/motor is cold/closed it heads to the choke solenoid

Last edited:

richfras

Recruit
Best I can tell,
the start switch, when turned to the start position sends power to the thermal switch 2 with the brown wire .
if the Thermal switch/motor is cold/closed it heads to the choke solenoid
Problem is according to the manual the thermal switch only closes at 35degs? which means it needs to heat up to actvate it?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
since it says thermal switch 2, there should be more than one.
you need to make sure you are looking at the proper switch, and test it to make sure the manual is correct.
I have found things wrong in manuals before

richfras

Recruit
since it says thermal switch 2, there should be more than one.
you need to make sure you are looking at the proper switch, and test it to make sure the manual is correct.
I have found things wrong in manuals before
Thermal switch 1 is the overheat switch it is set at 85 so sounds correct