2000 yamaha 25hp question

bcorradi

Cadet
Hello all,<br /><br />I have a 2000 yamaha 25hp and the waterpump doesn't seem to be working. The first time I took the motor out this year it seemed to be streaming water out fine. Since then, I've taken the motor out a few times, and have trolled for like 6-8 hours (which I probably shouldn't have) and I have yet to see the waterpump streaming water. The powerhead never seems to get hot at all and it seems to run like normal. Someone told me that the waterpump will kick in once the powerhead gets to a certain temperature which seems hard to believe. <br />Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated,<br />Brad

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2000 yamaha 25hp question

Since the motor is not getting hot, there may be a restriction in the tale tell hose. Dirt dobbers love to build in them in this part of the country. Remove the end from the motor and blow through it. Common repair is to run a wire carefully through it.

bcorradi

Cadet

Hi Ray,<br /><br />Thanx a lot for the reply. I might have to try that. This may be a stupid question, but where is the tale tell hose? Is that on the input or output end? <br />Take care,<br />Brad

livebait

Seaman Apprentice

ND: The tale tell hose Ray is referring to is the exit hole on the back of the motor where the water was “streaming” out from. This is usually a plastic fitting just under the cowl, move the release lever on the back bottom of the motor and raise the cowl. Look inside you will see the fitting with a flexible hose attached with a clamp. This is the exit point for the water indicating water pump activity. Remove the hose end from the fitting and blow air through the hose to see if it is clogged. I two have trouble with Dirt dobbers, I found that a golf tee will just fit in the fitting from the outside and prevents the Dirt dobbers from plugging up the hole. Now that I think about it I bought a set of Golf clubs about 15 years ago and have only used the seven iron to take lessons. Never played a round of golf in my life but that little bag of tees that came with the set has come in handy. I have about used them all up, looks like it is time to buy another set of golf clubs. That’s not bad though, a set every fifteen years, I can live with that. I hope this helps Yamaha’s are great engines.