2000 Mercury 200hp (carb) timing questions

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone.

I just replaced the trigger assembly on my merc 200hp motor, and want to check the timing before I take it out. I have a few questions. Looking at the numbers in the manual for my 2000 merc 200 (carb), I see that it states that idle speed/pickup timing is 0-9 ATDC, the cranking speed is 24 BTDC and WOT RPM is 18 BTDC. Then looking at timing directions, it states that I should adjust the maximum timing first. Does that mean set it to the cranking speed, WOT, or something else?
When checking and adjusting maximum timing adjustment, what do I want it set at?

After I get that set, I then adjust primary pickup timing. What does that get set to? 0-9 ATDC seems vague. Is that something that may be marked on the actual motor or flywheel somewhere? I appreciate any help I can get here. If I am not explaining this very well, please let me know and I will try and explain better. I am used to my old I/O and the simplicity of turning the distributor cap to set my timing. This is a bit foreign to me.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
For the idle part of it, you just adjust it to where it idles at the correct RPM, the exact timing doesn't mean much.