2000 Mercury 175 efi Water pump issues.

icuOklaCity

Cadet
Went to unload the boat last weekend and notice no water pressure or any water coming out of pee-hole.. So I replaced the impellor this weekend.. (Old impeller didn't really look to bad) After getting lower unit back on I put muffs on and fired motor up. still nothing from pee hole. Turn off motor and hooked up hose to motor flush nipple to flush out any blockage. I got water circulating and coming out pee hole when flushing. Put muffs back on and again no water coming from pee hole...

Any ideal on what is going on..??? I dropped the lower unit back off to make sure I didn't miss getting the water tube lined up. Not sure if I'm not getting enough water pressure/flow from the muffs...?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A lot of those Merc V6 motors do not run water out the telltale until the thermostats open. On a cool day with cool water at idle the motor may not get warm. If water is coming out the gratings above the antiventilation plate the motor is pumping water.

icuOklaCity

Cadet
A lot of those Merc V6 motors do not run water out the telltale until the thermostats open. On a cool day with cool water at idle the motor may not get warm. If water is coming out the gratings above the antiventilation plate the motor is pumping water.
It’s never not pumped water out of telltale before, even in cold weather and cold water… would it be normal for it to start to not pee water now…?? Also since I know there’s no blockage, I’m beginning to wonder if I installed impeller in wrong direction. If so would it still pump a little water..?? Going to drop lower unit again this evening to check..

Dukedog

Captain
when you do "water pump" and not sure how long its been and/or who did it before you need ta do tha COMPLETE KIT... not much more $$$.. tha stainless ride plate and cup in tha housing can be worn but not visible to tha naked eye... also double check tha way ya put in tha gaskets... 99% of tha time a impeller installed wrong will right itself first time driveshaft is turned.... one of tha reasons tha impeller is offset in tha cup housing... jmo.

a water pressure gauge is a valuable thing also.... if it reads "0" you know for sure its in tha pump...

Last edited:

icuOklaCity

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies.. I took and put boat in the water after work and it started pumping right away .. I’m guessing for whatever reason it wasn’t getting enough water using the muffs…