2000 Mariah Z268

dandale

Recruit
I am looking at a 2000 Mariah Z268 in average condition with 539 hours on the boat. Any suggestions on what I should look for as far as common problems go? Any suggestions on the value of this boat?

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: 2000 Mariah Z268

You need to look at the same things as on any oter used boat. Some of the specifics will very based on the engine/drive manufacturer and model.

The basics are:
- condition of the floor, look for any rot/soft spots
- same goes for the transom, seat bases or any other place that there is wood
- A solid floor and transom does not guarantee that the stringer are solid, however if either of these show rot there is almost always more damage to the hull structure that cannot be seen.
- When was the drive last serviced? What is the condition of the oil? Metal particles? Water in it?
- When were the bellows last changed(if ever) On a 2000 they are probably original and are at or near the end of thier servicable life. When the drive comes off, the ujoints gimbal bearing and shift cable also need to inspected/serviced.
- When was the sea water impeller last replaced? It should be done every year in salt water, every other in fresh. It is located in the drive on Alphas and is engine mounted on Bravos and all Volvo Pentas.
- What is the condition/level of the engine oil?
- Do a compression test on the engine, compare the results to the FSM (or you could post the results in the I/O forum on this board.
- When were the exhaust manifolds and risers last replaced. In salt water tey have a life expectancy of 5 years. In fresh water they need to be inspected starting at five years, but they may last longer than the rest of the boat. A failure of either one of these(or the joint between them can destroy your entire engine with little or no warning)
- When was the last time a full tune-up was performed?
- Have any parts been replaced with non-marine parts? At best automotive parts have short lifespans in boat. However, many parts(fuel, ignition, and electrical) must be marine rated to pevent your boat from exploding.
- Test everything for proper operation
If there is a trailer there other thing to check as well.
- What is the condition of the tires?
- When were the wheel bearings last cleaned and repacked. This should be done every year.
Do the lights all work?
Does it have brakes? If so, when were they last serviced?

I have probaly left a few things out, but this should get you started.

Good Luck