2000 johnson 150 fuel issue

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Yep, racer is absolutely correct. Many folks don't understand how the primer works. You absolutely have to hold the key in while cranking for it to do anything .
red lever should be in this position...see pic.

you also need to be using the fast idle function of the remote control. Not sure what style you have but there is either a lever you lift or a button that's pressed or the handle slides out a little and then rotates. Either way give it some throttle as you are cranking with key depressed. If it starts you then need to keep "bumping" the key in every few seconds till it warms up.

Attachments

• photo286985.jpg
    photo286985.jpg
    676 KB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If still a no start, look at the previous pic. See the brass slotted screw? There should be one in each carb bowl. Squeeze bulb til firm. Remove each screw. Fuel should run out. Does it?

Jimidude87

Cadet
I have the key pressed in when i try to start, guess i forgot to mention that. I have tried giving it since throttle while cranking with no luck. I have started this boat several times previously so i think i know how to start it (I'm definitely no expert).

I have taken those brass fittings off after priming and fuel does pour out.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
These motors need to spin north of 300 rpm to start. Assuming your starter is strong and fresh battery and clean tight cables. Assuming spark was checked properly. Assuming safety lanyard is installed while tryingbto start...leads us to carbs and throttle bodies, and making sure quick start system is functioning...I will need to pull a manual out to further assist you, maybe someone else can chime in. I am away from those manuals at the moment.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I guess you need to do fuel pressure and vacuum tests next.

plumb a clear hose in and tee to a vacuum gauge. You can do this at the fitting. You are looking for no bubbles and less than 4 in/hg of vacuum.

actually, I think that's for a running engine. I dint thinking valid just cranking.

why don't you just locate the fuel/oil out line on the vro, unhook it and crank. See if it makes a mess...that will tell you the pump works.

Last edited:

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
If using the VRO system, when the fuel lines are restricted, will pump lots of extry oil. You should have lots of smoke and oily plugs. Pump and lines should be checked. fuel pressure 3 lbs at idle. Engine should have about 115 psi.compression. Important to have oil 50-1 in tank while working on pump.

woohoo Clanton is back!!

Jimidude87

Cadet
So i have seen a lot of people mentioning the safety lanyard/kill switch. I have no experience with this and don't even know if this set up has this. Where would it be located and how do i know if this is causing the problem?

Something else i thought about is I'm not completely sure my batteries have full charge. When i turn the key to on my guage shows 12v but when i crank it drops down to between 8 and 10v. I still get roughly 400rpms when it's cranking though and i didn't think it needed any more than that to start. I've got a battery charger on both batteries now so once that's done I'll go play around with it again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Good batteries will usually show no less than 8.5VDC when cranking the motor, so I think your batteries are fine.

Some of the ign kill lanyards physically turn the ign key off, when they are pulled. Some kill the ignition electrically. If you have the former, just leave it off the ign switch.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
the lanyard will be by the ignition key. You are supposed to have the doohicki attached so that electricity can go to the power packs.

To by pass the key and lanyard's grounding, temporarily, you can disconnect the black/yellow wires at the engine (there should be two connectors under a black plate at the top of the engine, behind the flywheel, in between the power packs (if you have two) or right around where there if you have a single powerpack.

if the engine starts and runs well, to turn it off you'll have to choke the engine by covering the carbs' throats...so take off the air silencer.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
A 2000 motor probably does not have An electrical lanyard. Probably has the mechanical one that fits around the key itself.