2000 70 hp

Markiemrk

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to buy a 2000 Johnson 70 hp
What are some things to check, questions to ask before I buy?
The compression is 138,130, 138 .

Looking to buy a 2000 Johnson 70 hp
What are some things to check or questions to ask before I buy?

Listed description is :

The compression is 138,130, 138 .
Very Clean, low hour 2000 Johnson 70 horsepower 2 stroke, 3 cylinder outboard motor for boat or pontoon.

Long shaft (20 inch transom Length).

Non VRO (You must mix oil with the fuel).

Power tilt and trim with switch on cowl.

Like new prop.

Fresh gear lube.

New impeller.

Top Mount controls (for pontoon).

Deutsch connector on main harness.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Do we have any pictures?

Questions to ask, does it run and if so does it run well? Why are you selling it? Anything I should know?? Does that make them nervous?

Last but not least, is there any corrosion?

Nothing really specific for that particularly fine running model.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Has the VRO system been bypassed, or never used on that motor ??
I used to have a '79 70 hp three cylinder, before VRO was out there. Awesome motor, ran great and it was fast. Pulled all the kids on water toys and was run hard. As they say..."they don't build em like they used to" !!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have to agree , the 3 cylinder 49 cube motors built to 1988 were simple and rugged.

Markiemrk

Seaman Apprentice
Do we have any pictures?

Questions to ask, does it run and if so does it run well? Why are you selling it? Anything I should know?? Does that make them nervous?

Last but not least, is there any corrosion?

Nothing really specific for that particularly fine running model.
IMG_4353.pngIMG_4353.png

Attachments

• IMG_4354.png
    IMG_4354.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4355.png
    IMG_4355.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4356.png
    IMG_4356.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4357.png
    IMG_4357.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4358.png
    IMG_4358.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4359.png
    IMG_4359.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4360.png
    IMG_4360.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4361.png
    IMG_4361.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4362.png
    IMG_4362.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If a compression test is good it should be last for many years.----Install a new water pump impeller if you become the proud owner.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Iknow looks don't count but with that compression ...if accurate that engine certainly looks like it was given lots of TLC .

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I don't think I'd ask any questions, I would just get my money clip out of my front pocket and give him a whole bunch of Ben Franklin's.

One side note though looks can be deceptive!!!😆😆😆

Markiemrk

Seaman Apprentice
I don't think I'd ask any questions, I would just get my money clip out of my front pocket and give him a whole bunch of Ben Franklin's.

One side note though looks can be deceptive!!!😆😆😆
What would be a fair amount of Ben franklins to pay for this model and year in good running condition . ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depends on the local market ?----Depends on if you can do your own repair work.-----Or do you have a dealer / boat shop that works on these motors.----So what is your location ?----What is the asking price ?-----These motors are no longer made and many shops will not work on them.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I agree.....could be worth $3000.00 could be worth nothing....I'm not there.

But I'll tell you some facts about what I paid last year for a 2002 70 that pretty much is your motor. It's laying down in my shop because I can't get to it.

So here's what it is.

It's the engine that's sits on a big big yacht (tender motor) that according to everyone hardly went around and when it did never saw full throttle (such a waste). The only thing I can see wrong with it is the cowling is sun scorched. He's said steering stop but looked perfect for me.

So outboard, two perfect props (alum), vro oil tank (full of oil) WITH the vro system (there is no downside to this oiling system), control box with all the trimmings and....get this, an extra cowling.

$200 and ferry fare.

Now did I get a good deal or not? Not sure I even know.🤔

Markiemrk

Seaman Apprentice
I agree.....could be worth $3000.00 could be worth nothing....I'm not there.

But I'll tell you some facts about what I paid last year for a 2002 70 that pretty much is your motor. It's laying down in my shop because I can't get to it.

So here's what it is.

It's the engine that's sits on a big big yacht (tender motor) that according to everyone hardly went around and when it did never saw full throttle (such a waste). The only thing I can see wrong with it is the cowling is sun scorched. He's said steering stop but looked perfect for me.

So outboard, two perfect props (alum), vro oil tank (full of oil) WITH the vro system (there is no downside to this oiling system), control box with all the trimmings and....get this, an extra cowling.

$200 and ferry fare.

Now did I get a good deal or not? Not sure I even know.🤔
Is there a downside to not having a vro system and just adding the oil to the gas tank ?

Markiemrk

Seaman Apprentice
Depends on the local market ?----Depends on if you can do your own repair work.-----Or do you have a dealer / boat shop that works on these motors.----So what is your location ?----What is the asking price ?-----These motors are no longer made and many shops will not work on them.
Chicago area , seems like there is a few but no more than a handful of places/ guys that work on them within an hour ride or so at least From the searching I have done so far . $2750 . Guy selling it is a dealer/ outboard reseller . Seems to be very knowledgeable and to have checked everything to make sure it’s in good running order . Not just some guy selling his motor stating it’s a “Good runner “. Just trying to get a good idea if these motors have a good reputation if they are taken care of and well maintained . Are there any known problems, parts that good bad, ect . Anything I can expect to have to deal with outside of normal maintenance? Is the regular maintenance fairly easy? I am learning, but know a few guys who are pretty mechanically inclined . Anything to take note far as maintenance outside of what’s listed in the repair manual ?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Well take out the obvious..... The planet, taking care of mother Earth.

But let's take that out of the equation, super reliable as long as you keep up with the alarms and shut it down when it tells you to. Vro stands for variable ratio oiling, so what does that mean? It means that at idle it's around a hundred to one and 50 to 1 at high speeds. The oil goes in a separate bottle and you don't have to get it all over your hands. Mixing oil in the tank and adding fuel in my opinion is a waste of my time and doesn't do anything good for the planet or your boat.

So I think the vro is great, it's time tested and it runs very well. The only downside I've heard of, and I've never seen personaly, somebody who doesn't understand how it all works, how all the safety devices work saving you from any kind of loss of oil engine destruction. So they're great.

As for your location that might be one of the best places in the nation to buy an outboard. Boating season is relatively short because of the cold and it's mostly all fresh if not all freshwater. From the looks of it I'd pay him as much as three grand like I said before.

Just make sure it has enough ponies for the boat you want to put it on because it's better to be overpowered than underpowered the motor will last a lot longer.

Good luck let us know if you get it and we'll walk you through the rest.

Matt

Markiemrk

Seaman Apprentice
So I went to check out the motor eveything was going well til I asked to see the compression test . He had listed 135 , 130 , 138. After testing a couple times for me
The last reading. Was 135, 120, 130. I didn’t like the 120. And was concerned it was more than 10 % difference and didn’t line up with what he had Listed. Should I be that concerned that the one cylinder is low . He spayed some stuff in the cylinder said it might clear up the carbon on the rings out it didn’t change anything . He then said said he would spay the stuff in the engine the proper way don’t remember what) and let it sit over night then run it through the engine in the morning to see if it cleared carbon from the rings and ups the compression . Not sure what to make of this I was pretty set on getting it , but with those readings I felt uneasy . If he can show me that the compression is closer together within the 10% would that be a good sign and reconsider . ? Is okay the way those numbers are ? What does that mean . What can I expect performance wise or life with those numbers? Will it last , indication if some major problem ?

Markiemrk

Seaman Apprentice
So I went to check out the motor eveything was going well til I asked to see the compression test . He had listed 135 , 130 , 138. After testing a couple times for me
The last reading. Was 135, 120, 130. I didn’t like the 120. And was concerned it was more than 10 % difference and didn’t line up with what he had Listed. Should I be that concerned that the one cylinder is low . He spayed some stuff in the cylinder said it might clear up the carbon on the rings out it didn’t change anything . He then said said he would spay the stuff in the engine the proper way don’t remember what) and let it sit over night then run it through the engine in the morning to see if it cleared carbon from the rings and ups the compression . Not sure what to make of this I was pretty set on getting it , but with those readings I felt uneasy . If he can show me that the compression is closer together within the 10% would that be a good sign and reconsider . ? Is okay the way those numbers are ? What does that mean . What can I expect performance wise or life with those numbers? Will it last , indication if some major problem ?
Oh he did run for a little while a few minutes with the muffs on, So those numbers were done 15 minutes or so after it was run . Also hmentioned something about that a low battery can affect the numbers as well . Hot or could the numbers should still be within the 10 % correct . How long should he run it before a warm test is taken ? Which one is more accurate? Trying to decide what to ask or look for if I go back tomorrow so I don’t end up wasting his or my my time .

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Basically you're overthinking it here, if the numbers are decent and they're not exactly around the 10%. I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me.

Compression means that most of the mechanical parts are working correctly, what that motor needs is to be double checked and then taken out and ran like hell and odds are that's exactly what it's going to do.

My advice, look at the man you're dealing with does he seem like a truthful person? I'm assuming you're a smart truthful guy yourself and if he seems like you, buy it!