2000 115 johnson ocean pro battery connections

DaveinFL

Cadet
I was given a motor to sell after a friend repowered his boat. It is a good running motor (carbureted) but came back from the dealer a semi basket case. Wires cut, missing plugs off the harness, no oil tank etc... i downloaded a manual but the wiring diagrams are not the best for what I need. I would like to get this thing running on a stand to get the most out of it I can. Where does the battery hook up on the motor? I see no heavy terminals and the starter solenoid has very light wires going to it.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
No takers in nearly 2 days

Look at the solenoid. There will be two large terminals and two small terminals
One of the large terminals will have the connection to the starter motor on it

The other one will have some smallish , probably red, wires on it.
The battery positive connects to this terminal.
The other wires will include the DC output from the rectifier and the supply going to the rest of the motor.

The battery negative goes to a bolt on the block somewhere nearby. Starter mounting bolt perhaps. Look for signs that something has been disturbed.

Take care not to get the battery polarity reversed or you will fry the rectifier quicker that you can say "Oh ****"

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
What did the dealer do, keep all the components for the new motor, that they needed, like battery cables, oil tank and some wiring?

DaveinFL

Cadet
What did the dealer do, keep all the components for the new motor, that they needed, like battery cables, oil tank and some wiring?
He went with a four stroke and a different brand. Theres a lot of fishy stuff on this motor. I think the dealer was not happy he did not give him the old motor.

DaveinFL

Cadet
No takers in nearly 2 days

Look at the solenoid. There will be two large terminals and two small terminals
One of the large terminals will have the connection to the starter motor on it

The other one will have some smallish , probably red, wires on it.
The battery positive connects to this terminal.
The other wires will include the DC output from the rectifier and the supply going to the rest of the motor.

The battery negative goes to a bolt on the block somewhere nearby. Starter mounting bolt perhaps. Look for signs that something has been disturbed.

Take care not to get the battery polarity reversed or you will fry the rectifier quicker that you can say "Oh ****"
Thanks. I was thinking that may be where they go. What threw me off was everything that was messed with on this motor was cut or left loose. The post on the solinoid was tight and looked unmolested. I just got done building a stand so I can work on it.