200 Ocean Runner 4 turns on needles?

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 95' Johnson 200.<br />I was cleaning the carbs, and found out all of the idle mixture needles were at least 4 turns out.<br />Is this ok or is something happening here?<br /><br />I adjusted them to 2.5 turns out, and it wouldn't idle for more than 10 seconds before dying. (on the muffs)<br />I set them all to 3.5 turns, and seems to idle fine on the muffs.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 200 Ocean Runner 4 turns on needles?

I think it has been set to 4 turns since almost new.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Different engines run from 5 to 7 turns out. That is quite a range, but thats what you will find when you adjust enough of them. I start at 6 turns open. You will see that the threads are very fine so it takes a bit of turning to see a difference in idle.

ob

Admiral

If your motor was running fine before at 4 turns open ,I would replace the mix screws to where they were at.Running on the hose will not be an indication of how it will run when you launch the boat and get back pressure on the exhaust system.This may save you some hastle from fumbling with mix settings at the launch.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Took it out last Saturday, ran great except:<br />Well, it would idle all day in neutral, about 800rpm, but only for about a minute "in gear", about 600rpm, with the needles at 3.5 turns.<br />I think it wants about 4.5 turns out.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br />I feel better now.<br /><br />(Why does the book say 2.5 turns?)<br />They might as well say, "Start with the screws turned all the way in, and back them out 1/2 turn until it idles."

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Mixture adjustments are when it runs right, never 'x' turns open.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Have you decarboned the motor recently to "free up" any stuck rings, and do the thermostats allow the cylinders to warm up to aroung 130 degrees or so? You should not be able to hold your fingers on top of the heads for more than 3 seconds if it is getting hot enough.<br /><br />If the above is OK, set your needles at 6 turns then run the motor, That way you can turn them inward to adjust.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just replaced the power-pack, voltage regulator, stator, stator base, VRO pump, thermostats, blow-off valve, drained carbs, de-carbonized, sprayed carb cleaner thru jets, tightened loose carb and manifold bolts, new plugs, fuel filter, drained gas tank, checked all electrical conections and applied electrical grease, new batteries, filled ice chest with Sierra Nevada, new VHF radio, etc.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The service manual is incorrect on the number of turns on the idle mixture screw. Some earlier model outboards used a coarser threaded screwand needed 2.5 turns out. They then came out with super fine threads, about 40 per inch, and the screws needed 5 turns out. Your manual and the previous years manual were not corrected until '96.<br /><br />Like in my previous post, start with 5 or 6 turns open and you will be fine.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot for confirming each others recommendations.<br />I knew something was screwed up when I went to high altitude, and it idled worse, and when I hit the choke, it reved up. This is the opposite effect I would have expected for running with less oxygen at 5000 feet.<br /><br />I am going way offshore this weekend tuna fishing, so this info will be very benificial.<br />I will set them at 5 turns out and give you the results on Monday.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br /><br />"What's the difference between a piano, and a tuna?"

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, after a full day of messing with them, here is what I found out.<br /><br />6 turns, fouls the plugs.<br /><br />5 turns, rough idle, dies after idling for 2 minutes.<br /><br />4 turns, idles the best (not great), will idle forever.<br /><br />3.5 turns, rough idle, dies after idling 1 minute.<br /><br />At 4 turns out, 700rpm in gear, I still can't get the timing within factory spec. (0-4 degrees ATDC)<br />It is at 2 degrees BTDC. Quickstart off.<br /><br />WOT running at 6000 rpm, timing is at 16 degrees BTDC, should be 18 degrees. Is that 2 turns of the high speed stop screw?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Glad you got it to run better.<br /><br />Is the timing pointer set to read TDC using the procedure per the manual, so you know that the degrees are accurate?<br /><br />Start with the 2 bottom carbs, and turn them 1/2 turn at a time inward pausing 15 seconds each adjustment and see if the idle speeds up. If so, work upwards one at a time and see what happens. They all won,t be equal, but should be within a turn or so.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I barrowed a piston stop tool from "great" shop in California called, Boatmasters 2. Very cool guys.<br />I found out the pointer was set 2 degrees off.<br />That means my WOT (max advance) is correct at 18 degrees, but my idle timing is 4 degrees BTDC.<br /><br />I read a post from the archives that sounded exactly like the symptoms I have.<br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=000118 <br />I was excited reading on and on to find out what my problem was.<br />The guy spent a lot of money buying different parts, rebuilding carbs, etc, but still couldn't get the timing within specs.<br />It turns out it was his timing base and power pack.<br />I just replaced both of mine, and I'm not going to buy another set. If they were defective from the factory, then I'm running it "as-is".<br /><br />Anyone have more information?<br /><br />Should I be concerned?<br /><br />If the idle timing is advaced, does this effect the timing in the rest of the range?<br /><br />Thanks.