200 efi merc+ethanol

mca1634

Cadet
The problem started by not being able to get to top speed. I checked the fuel filter and discovered a large amount of debri (reddish/flaky). I was told this is due to ethanol. there is one more filter before the injectors that i need to check. my question is, does anyone know if ethanol is the real problem. it's a 2001 22' pro sports cc w/ a 2000 200 efi merc. if it is ethanol, do i have to drain and clean my whole tank.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200 efi merc+ethanol

It is a problem if you have ignored the fuel system over the years. Ethanol is an excellent fuel system cleaner so it has loosened up the crud and deposited it in the fuel filters, Buy two of each right away and keep them aboard. Better yet, drain the fuel tank through a gauze or fine mesh filter to trap as much of the stuff as you can. Change the filters and go. If the engine begins to act up, change the filters again. You may need to do this several times as it depends on how dirty the fuel system was. DO NOT continue to run a poorly running engine as it is very likely running lean and can burn a piston. Look at ethanol as doing you a favor. You will have a clean fuel system and it brought the issue to your attention early as you would have likely had a problem down the road anyway. Add a fuel stabilizer to keep fuel fresh, especially during long periods of non-use.

j_martin

Admiral

A strong emphasis here. Don't run your engine at all unless it can achieve WOT briskly and cleanly. If you do run it, it is likely running lean, and will burn a piston or two, which is way more expensive than fuel filters or even injector cleaning and calibrating.

Even if you run it at part throttle, it's still likely running lean and likely to burn down.

hope it helps
John

mca1634

Cadet

how neccessary is it to drain the tank. if i keep checking my filters and they are ok, should i still drain it. and if so, what's the best way to drain it?