20 seconds to start peeing on muffs

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I'll bet your probably tired of seeing this question? I just replaced the waterpump impeller and housing and while I had it open I shot water up the water tube and out of the weep hole. So water shoots through the upper system without it running and out the weep hole in a good stream.
Every time I hook it up on the muffs and start it it takes 20 seconds for water to come out of the weep hole but when it does it is a strong steady stream.
Do you think this is a problem with a thermostat or just because I'm running it on the muffs? Or is this just natural?

dwco5051

Commander
I have never timed any of my motors but none ever had a tell tail stream the moment they start. To fill a drained block and start spitting will take some time. Don't know if 20 seconds for your motor is normal or not.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Do you know what motor you are working on ?
Logical question. It is a 1985 50 hp Mercury outboard and I realize now that I can't expect water to shoot out instantly because it takes time for the water to get through the system.
By the way a couple of years ago it did have a clog and I had to pull the weep hole hose off and I shot lube through the WD 40 straw into the water jacket hole to loosen the junk that had it blocked. Took some time but I finally got that washed out.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Logical question. It is a 1985 50 hp Mercury outboard and I realize now that I can't expect water to shoot out instantly because it takes time for the water to get through the system.
By the way a couple of years ago it did have a clog and I had to pull the weep hole hose off and I shot lube through the WD 40 straw into the water jacket hole to loosen the junk that had it blocked. Took some time but I finally got that washed out.
If yours is the 4-cylinder, then I have the same motor. Yep, it can take a little while for the water to fully circulate through the system.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
If yours is the 4-cylinder, then I have the same motor. Yep, it can take a little while for the water to fully circulate through the system.

4 cyl. like mine. I run it on a 18 foot pontoon boat. Good old motor for a greenhorn like me. I don't think mine has a thermostat in it because I shot water out by way of the coolant tube when I had the lower gear housing off to change the water pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put a new impeller in one of those 4 cylinder motors last week----Took 7 seconds for tell tale to work like a small / young race horse.