20 hp on a 12' aluminum boat

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is a 20 hp Mercury to much motor for a 12 foot Duranautic boat.do you think it would be ok to use it on this size boat

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 20 hp on a 12' aluminum boat

Yes, it is too much. No, it would not be okay

tashasdaddy

no more than the rating plate of the boat says. Yes it is too much. dangerous.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree with the others, very dangerous. Was give a 25 hp. VOLVO, hung it on a 14 ft. SEARS. Only did it once, went and bought a 15 hp. gamefisher. FRED

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had a 20hp (w/ stretched pitch)on a 14' Lund. (rated 25 hp :eek:)
12 gal. fuel, coolers, rods, bait, and what-nots it still flew!
Folks said only about 10" of boat was in the water at WOT when the pond was flat as glass. I loved it. (but, I was nuts too)
However, there is no rule stating you need to use full throttle all the time.
It'll definately get you out of the hole! Then you can back off as desired.
Proper trim is all important before playing wide open.
Even with good trim you don't want a sudden gust coming head on! Trust me! I've been there. It'll make your heart skip a beat for sure.
Not something for your 9 year old either.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you mean this boat? If so, you'd be doubling the rated power. Just being careful with the throttle might work if it was a 15, but a 20 is way too big. Look for an 8 or a 9.9 instead.

fishrdan

Admiral

Eh, Yeah, that combo would be scary fast.

I borrowed my buddies 12' Lund with a new 25HP Mercury 4 stroke (MAX HP rating) and the thing would haul A**. BUT, I was heading up river and hit another boat's wake, nothing huge and I didn't think anything of it,,, until the boat made an immediate left turn as the bow clipped the wake :eek:

jbjennings

Captain

You'd be fine with it until one day you would get comfortable with it and forget just how far on the edge you were running and wind up in the water before you knew what happened. Then, the torque steer would turn that boat so the motor could come back and finish the job if you were still alive.
tooooo much motor for sure!:redface:

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Eh, Yeah, that combo would be scary fast.

I borrowed my buddies 12' Lund with a new 25HP Mercury 4 stroke (MAX HP rating) and the thing would haul A**. BUT, I was heading up river and hit another boat's wake, nothing huge and I didn't think anything of it,,, until the boat made an immediate left turn as the bow clipped the wake :eek:

same thing happened to me.

14' 20hp johnson

WAY too fast, at 3/4 throttle I hit a little way sending the boat sideways and me almost out. thanks to the safety lanyard is due here.

a few hours later, I was cruising at 1/2 throttle, and hit a bump (wave) and it launched me out.

I took the engine off and gave the boat away.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I say give it a shot if the price is right. Run 2/3rd throttle and you will be fine. The extra ponies will give you peace of mind in case you need to make a quick getaway.

I ran a 25 hp Johnson on an old Klamath for years without any problems. I had it set up for bass fishing so it was heavy compared to that rig in the link.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the replies guys,I'm selling the motor and the guy who wants to buy it has the 12' boat.Don't think I should sell it to him from all the answers I received,Don't think it's safe for him. don't want anyone to get hurt!!

tashasdaddy

shoot sell him the motor, print this thread out and have him sign it. that would relieve you of any responsibility. may be months before you find another buyer.

that way you have made the buyer aware of the circumstances.

wbeaton

Commander

I'd tell him the motor is too big for his boat, but I'd still sell it to him. Its not up to you to decide what's right for him.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hate to sound paranoid BUT, you sell him the boat and tell him it is unsafe. He screws up and hurts himself or others. Lawsuit comes after you for selling this unsafe item to a dumb *****. Would not want to put my trust in a jury considering how some jury awards turn out. To bad, I hurt myself, someone owes me money. FRED

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OOPS, went back and reread your post. You are just selling him the motor. You have no control over what he hangs it on. FRED

reelfishin

Captain

I have a 12' Duranautic V12, I hung an older 18hp on it and it was WAY too much motor, more in weight than power. I run a 15hp or 9.5hp on it most of the time. Either one is more than enough. With the old 18hp 2 stroke, it was way too fast, but cavitation and air getting under the boat on wakes and in the chop made it unpredictable. I found that you had to balance the boat as you ran, I would hold the motor straight and steer by leaning the boat side to side.
No idea how fast it was, but faster than anything else I flew past that day.
I think the hull was out of the water more than in the water, and hard holeshots would make the boat rear up in the bow and dig a hole in the water before jumping forward hard and fast. I had the motor set on the last hole to get it to run at any sort of level attitude but at that point, a hard wake hit would be liable to stuff the boat downward.

The biggest problem with those hulls is a lack of a real transom panel, if it's like mine, the transom has only a 12" x 10" piece of wood.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A 12 foot Duranautic Utility V12 weighs 121 pounds and is rated for up to 10hp. Do I need to say more?

reelfishin

Captain

A 12 foot Duranautic Utility V12 weighs 121 pounds and is rated for up to 10hp. Do I need to say more?

I think some of the earlier models may have been heavier, mine is pretty heavy, heavier than one man can lift so I'd say it's a good bit more than 121 lbs. Even so it's still only rated for a 10HP.
Mine does ok with a 9.5 or 9.9 on it with just me, but add a second man and it needs the 15 but I wouldn't want to try two people and a heavier motor. It rides pretty low with just me and a 6hp Evinrude motor, I have less than 2" of freeboard with just me. The problem is that they build these things with such low weight ratings and total lack of freeboard. You put one person, a motor, a battery, fuel tank, a tackle box and a few rods and reels and your over the 600lb max. Even my 14' Starcraft isn't much better, it's longer with more freeboard but has only a 425 lb max, but is rated for 30 hp. If I hung a 30hp on that, then got in, it would sink. I had a 6hp on it with just me and a 3gallon fuel tank and it's beyond the point that I consider safe. Lean a bit too much to one side and you take on water or swamp the boat.

ebsworj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do it and send up pictures, flying across the lake with a 20hp. I want to do the same thing! My 12' boat dosen't plane w/ 3 guys and my 9.8hp.