20 ft boat too small?

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
While living in Parker, Colorado, we had a 1989 16' Invader Bowrider I/O. It had two back-to-back seats and seating in the bow. One time we had 4 adults and 1 child onboard, but mainly it was just wife and myself. I was able to pull two skiers up, but had to push the throttle all the way forward to get them up. The engine was a Volvo Penta 4 cylinder.

Our boat now is a 1992 Celebrity 20' Cuddy and we've had 5 adults on that at one time. Three on the bench seat next to the engine and one in each seat in front. Even with a 350 I/O engine, I could still feel some drag going. When it's just wife and I, I can get the boat up on plane in no time. This thing can fly thru the water. Really want to have it taken to Colorado when we move back next year.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I am not sure an I/O is inherently safer than an outboard... I do think the I/O makes pulling things behind the boat a bit easier, since you don't have that big motor hanging off the transom.

I'd talk to some folks who use jets for skiing and tubing. I don't have much experience with them, but I've seen a couple where it looked like a big skier or a tube was pulling the back end of a jet boat around pretty good. I'm not sure I'd like that as the driver.

roffey

Commander
I have a 20 foot bowrider and can tell you from experience I can take 5 (large) adults and 3 kids... the boat handles terribly and has a difficult time getting on plane and it is a little cramped. Before I get beat up the boat is rated for 9 people. As I recollect there is a large price difference once you get over 20 feet.

briangcc

Commander
Yeah I'm going to disagree with you on the safety portion of an I/O over an outboard. Any summer, I see stories on my local news where an I/O filling up/just filled up becomes a ball of fire due to either a fuel leak OR the operator not operating the bilge blower long enough. You won't have that issue with an Outboard.

With I/O's you're going to expand your vocabulary to include wonderful items such as leaking bellows and U-joints. It happens to the best of boats and is a maintenance item to be aware of. Again, not an issue on Outboards.

And if you're arguing the prop is more exposed on an Outboard then you haven't looked too closely at I/O's either. Those without swim platforms are just as open as the Outboard.

Personally, having boated in Northern Ontario (Baptiste Lake, Bancroft ON) I'd be looking for an Outboard powered boat. The lake was man made and they didn't clear the trees before they flooded it so there are lots of hidden stumps. Hit one with an Outboard and the motor pops up/down with little fuss. Hit that with an I/O and you could be looking at some major repairs.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have a 20 foot bowrider and can tell you from experience I can take 5 (large) adults and 3 kids... the boat handles terribly and has a difficult time getting on plane and it is a little cramped. Before I get beat up the boat is rated for 9 people. As I recollect there is a large price difference once you get over 20 feet.

That in part is probably due to the engine size, don't you think? No offense intended at all, but I would consider a 20' with a 4.3 on the borderline of underpowered. I bet with a few more horsepower performance would really improve, especially if it's fully loaded with passengers. If talking to someone buying new, I'd probably recommend at least a 5.0 in a 20' boat, especially if you want to carry a full complement of passengers.

ahicks

Captain
When skiing, it's not a matter of how many skiers you can pull, it's WAY more a matter of getting them, and the boat, on top quickly! Nobody likes being dragged behind a boat that struggling to get on plane.

An I/O in a light boat works OK, but they aren't going to compare with the skiing performance available from one of today's outboards - all else being equal.

A boat type that has not been mentioned is a regular straight inboard ski boat. There are a ton of those available pretty reasonably on the used market, many with bow rider setups. I'd avoid the smaller 16' boats, but the 19-20' boats might do a good job for a family on a lake. You want to discuss maneuverable? With the turn fins mounted to the bottom of the boat at mid ship, these will turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change! Down side is although they are mostly all equipped with V-8's, few will crack 50mph. The same hull design that allows them to get on plane in a heartbeat really holds them back when talking speed.

Last, ALL boats are a compromise. You need to define your mission/priorities, and that should allow you to narrow your choices considerably.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
In my area, dedicated ski boats and wakeboard boats are among the most expensive boats available. Only worththe $$ if you are a high-endskier.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks like we are looking for 21-23feet Yamaha Jet. We like the layout of the boat. We like the absence of the sunpad. Looks like the performance is there.

before you go out and buy, note that the fuel economy in the yammy jet is not that great, in fact, you can feed twin BBC's for what that thing drinks. also, you need to personally be towed behind it. I personally dont like jets for watersports, and that includes the scarab which is especially designed for watersports.

briangcc

Commander
That in part is probably due to the engine size, don't you think? No offense intended at all, but I would consider a 20' with a 4.3 on the borderline of underpowered. I bet with a few more horsepower performance would really improve, especially if it's fully loaded with passengers. If talking to someone buying new, I'd probably recommend at least a 5.0 in a 20' boat, especially if you want to carry a full complement of passengers.

Actually the 4.3/4.5 are becoming the norm in that size boat. Ranges from 180HP (I have this in mine) to 250HP. Either catalyzed or not. Generally, you need to step up in size beyond 20' to get into the 5.0L engines and you're paying a pretty penny for new at that point.

I've yet to have mine loaded down - only had (3) adults and (2.5) kiddos on board thus far but it'll still do very nicely and got on plane without any issue. **The 0.5 comes from #3 not being born at the time, he came a month later.

roffey

Commander
My motor is 190 hp and can push the boat to 54mph (on the GPS). I do agree with 5 adults and 3 children I could use more ponies. I was more just comparing apples to apples and no insult taken. It is what it is, lol.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's a fine boat. I would steer you towards the Sea Ray 210 or 220 Sundeck for a better layout and space.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The ad doesn’t say how old the boat is... but with 820+ hours, I’m guessing it’s at least 10-15 years old. Be good to know when comparing prices.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I may be mistaken but I thought you mentioned you are on Lake Simcoe. I fish it once in a while. I call it the 6th Great Lake. A 20 foot deep V glass boat is nice in rough water, if you get caught, but a wise boater isn't venturing out in big water when there are 3 and 4 foot waves. Waves don't know they are supposed to be only what the weather predictor predicts. Here on Erie a few 3 and 4 footers sneak in when it supposed to be 1 to 2 feet.

I don't agree that an I/O is any safer then an OB. I actually think an OB is much safer as pointed out earlier. If anyone gets near where there is a prop I/O or OB there isn't going to be good news.

Good luck on the Jet Boat shopping. I have heard good and bad. A few years back my slip neighbour had a 18' Yamaha, he sold it after the 1st year. It just wasn't for them here on Erie. It didn't have a very deep V was all I got for him and he had electrical problems from day 1 unfortunately, it's a pain to take it back to the dealer all season warranty or not. With his wife, daughter, tube and he it did look cramped to me. 2 feet can make a big difference in a boat. My jump from 17 to 19 was amazingly more spacious.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Independently of the boat type and engine you go for, if you propped right your combo for OB to run say middle to max wot rpm range with 2 adults and 3 youngsters will kill the perfect wot equation achieved if 2 more adults and 3 youngsters will be added occassonally. Will need to count with an extra less pitch prop for OB to run again towards middle to max wot rpm range for OB to run stress free and not enter the extreme lugging wot rpm range. Now imagine both scenarios while pulling water toys which will add extra drag to both equations.

If OB is not propped right, combo will be good for boring fast displacement speed to avoid damaging it at higher lugging rpm. If plan going for a Jetengine combo, it possible to maximize the water impeller to achieve higher rpm if needed ?

Personally avoid having occasional extra boaters when have propped right my combo to run at full max wot rpm range as fixed loaded. Having to count with an extra prop for that rare occasion definitely doesn't agree with me..

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Hi guys, I am new to the inboard/outboards and looking to buy a 2007 Four Winns 200 SS. We love the boat, but we have not seen it in person (It is 300 miles away). I wanted to hear from current 20 footer owners how many people do you usually have in the boat?
We are concerned that it may be a bit small for us.
We have 2 kids, so it is 4 of us the boat 90% of the time. Occasionally we will get 2 more adults and up to 3 kids. We do mostly watersports (tubing, wakeboarding, etc. ) Boat will be stored at the cottage.
What do you think? Too small?

PS, we have sold our 16 footer outboard because it was too small for us. I am not sure if we are going to gt more interior space with 20 ft I/O, seems like sunpad eats up a lot of space. On the positive side, it has much more seating space (16 footer was a more of a fishing boat)

I had a 1972 New 18' Caravelle Tri-Hull with a 125 Johnson, wife and 3 kids, 10-15 area. Back to back seats, jump seats at stern, and a bow rider. It was just right for us. Remove any of the seating and the just right goes away. Add folks and the just right goes away. Boats for me were never big enough on the water and too big when off. Good luck.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It is interesting to me that more often than not boat shoppers are more concerned with the number of guests, pets, toys and coolers one can load into a boat than the safety and performance of a new to them boat when full of people. As the question from the OP asks, is a 20 footer too small? Depends if it is run in a small lake or protected river that doesn't see much wind or in the Great Lakes or even the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. How long is a rope?

99.99% of the time now my 19' StarCraft is only used for fishing. It is maxed out for me at 1 passenger only on the Great Lakes unless still fishing for Panfish or drifting for Smallmouth, maybe casting for Bass but not often more than 2 of us.

tpenfield

Staff member
My sage advice is that . . . "boats shrink when you put them in the water" . . . So, a 20 foot boat may seem fine in the purchasing process, but then you go to use it and the big . . . oohh . . . hits :eek:

Bowriders offer an advantage in seating capacity, obviously, but I tend to recommend going with something bigger than you think you will need . . . maybe 20% bigger. So, if you are eye-balling a 20, look at a 24.

Also, think about things like a porta-pottie, which will be on the boats in the mid 20-foot range, 'cuz inevitably, someone will have to 'go' :D

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
As far as pontoon and water sports. Pontoons from ‘79 eh?? to now are amazing. I was running close to wot bout 59mph in my sport cuddy liberator bb460, and a tritoon with 8 blondies (Valhalla) went flying by I’ve also seen pontoons with I/O 454’s skiers tubers sooo I wouldn’t be to shy about a sporttoon!!!!!