20' Ebbtide Planing Ability?

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Were buying a bowrider in the 20' range for $15k.
We just drove a 20' 8" 2001 Ebbtide Campione with a Volvo 5.0Gi today.
We liked the boat overall, looks great, started easy, quiet running, fast enough.... really, the ONLY thing that struck us as odd was its ability to get up out of the holeshot. One of our main uses is going to be for watersports, so its holeshot and ability to get on plane is crucial. Im sure it had the power to pull somebody up, but it seemed to take longer for the bow to drop into plane than in other boats we have text drove.

Is this normal for Ebbtides? (a 3,000lbs boat). It had a 3 blade stainless steal prop on, and hit about 50mph.
Basically, were sure it would do what we want, just dont know if it will do it perfectly. Anyone else have experience with these boats?

thanks.
-CUBE-

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: 20' Ebbtide Planing Ability?

Sounds to me like it was propped for absolute top end speed. Cause 50mph (even on an inaccurate speedo) is pretty fast for a nearly 21' boat with only 220-240hp. What were the WOT RPMS?
What I am getting at is that if it was propped for top end, and other boats you have driven weren't, it'll feel sluggish out of the hole. But a prop change could solve all of that.

Bondo

Staff member

But a prop change could solve all of that.

Ayuh,... Or converting it to a Duo-prop, if it's possible....

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 20' Ebbtide Planing Ability? (prop info)

Dont think we will be converting to a duo-prop :(
I wish I would have looked at RPMs now that I think about it. But I do know top speed was around 48-51mph with about 850lbs (people+gear) in the boat.

I read on another forum that I similar boat and engine did nearly 60mph with a 3 blade 21p SS. So now Im re-thinking my idea of purchasing this boat. Our main concern is watersports and it looks like it must already have a low-ish pitch SS prop on there. Hell be telling us what the prop is tomorrow so Ill update - I guess Im hoping its a higher pitch prop, allowing us room to move down in pitch to acheive the holeshot we want. Top speed is not important to us.

Any more comments appreciated.
thanks
-CUBE-

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can also switch to a 4 or even a 5 blade prop for added hole shot.

I'm also having a hard time believing the 60 MPH claim with a 3 blade 21p prop. Besides, you don't need to go that fast for watersports anyway.

The Campione is an excellent boat. I have an 18' footer and wouldn't trade it for the world.

cube21

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks rowroy, im happy to see another satisfied ebbtide owner. we might be placing a down payment today :)

I think Im going to start another thread for some quick opinions, but how good do you think this deal is.

2001 Ebbtide Campione 210. Volvo 5.0LGi. No hour meter but in above average condition with just a few minor setbacks here and there. Dual batteries and upgrades 6-speaker sound system with amp and subwoofer. Comes with nothing except the boat, trailer, and bimini top. We will be paying $15,000.

-CUBE-