20’ Lund Alaskan bad attitude since going Etec

limbwalker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello guys, I’ve owned my 20’ Lund Alaskan for over 10 years and that hull performed like a rock star with the original 320Lb 75hp Optimax Tiller. Ever since I’ve repowered with this new 390LB Etec 90HO Tiller, the hull rides absolutely terrible.

I was running 3 blade SS on the Merc and now running 4 blade SS Evinrude Rogue and no matter how much I trim, I’m wetting way too much of the hull. I’ve experimented with all motor heights and it works best slammed down to transom. That ol Optimax I could trim that hull up and just ride on the transom or trim down and wet all I needed and it was fantastic but this new engine and prop combo has me baffled.

I’m aware the difference in gear ratios between the Merc and evi bc I was running a 3 blade 19” pitch for the summer and a 17 for fall duck hunting. This new motor no way would it turn that 17, and to get the max WOT RPM with this Etec I had to go down to a 13” (13-1/4x13) .... she’s just now now heavy and the hull isn’t even fun to run anymore.

do these 4 blades have extra stern lift vs a 3 blade bc that’s what it seems like.

hopefully someone out there has been through this already and can shed some light on this subject.

Thank you.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Any pics of mounting height with engine trimmed vertical?