2 to 4 barrel swap done.

The Joker

Cadet
Hey I have a 2006 Sea Ray 195 sport that I just did a 2 to 4 barrel swap. It runs great a picked up about 5 mph on a rough day. My question is what do you do with the TKS stuff? It does have a small hesitation when I take off, but man it hauls.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2 to 4 barrel swap done.

Hey I have a 2006 Sea Ray 195 sport that I just did a 2 to 4 barrel swap. It runs great a picked up about 5 mph on a rough day. My question is what do you do with the TKS stuff? It does have a small hesitation when I take off, but man it hauls.

I wonder if you adjust the accelerator pump for a smaller shot at takeoff if that would help the hesitation. Course, it could need more fuel too, but I'd fiddle with the accel pump. It's free to turn a screw. :)

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm curious as to what motor you have and what carb did you get? I've been thinking of doing the same for a long time.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I curius what are you gonna do with the old 2 brl? PM me

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If it was a TKS we know it was a Merc......maybe a 4.3?

The Joker

Cadet

It is a 305 mercruiser 2006. I used a summit brand stage one vortec four barrel intake and holley 600 carb for marine. It has such good throttle response now and I had 7 kids and 5 adults on the boat yesterday on Lake Whitney and still could hit 55 on the speedo. I need to do a gps on it. The engine did really well except for a hesitation when it takes off, but I think that is from the tks. I plugged the tks solenoid in and laid it on the intake and hesitation is almost gone, but I just want to take that stuff off but don't know what to take off.

The Joker

Cadet

I wonder if you adjust the accelerator pump for a smaller shot at takeoff if that would help the hesitation. Course, it could need more fuel too, but I'd fiddle with the accel pump. It's free to turn a screw. :)

Here is something that is weird. If I take off the throttle cable and do it by hand it doesnt hesitate, but if you put it back on and do it with the throttle cable it hesitates.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is something that is weird. If I take off the throttle cable and do it by hand it doesnt hesitate, but if you put it back on and do it with the throttle cable it hesitates.

Are you doing it by hand when the boat is in the water and in gear, or out of gear? If you are doing on the water and in gear so you have a load on the motor, yes, that is weird.

If it is out of gear, I'd say that indicates you are lean at takeoff and you need to adjust the accel pump to meter out more fuel. I don't know a thing about the TKS, what it is or what it does on the newer Merc's, though.

The Joker

Cadet

I am doing it in my driveway with ears on out of gear. I think I am gonna take the boat up to the carburetor guy and just get him to tune it. I ordered the carb from National Carburetors on Ebay and it wasnt boxed to protect the throttle bracket and it had been dropped. I took it to a local carb shop here in Texas and he went back through it and said it was good to go. Thanks for the info though. Maybe I should just take it out again with some tools and mess with that some.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The TKS system is just a fancy type choke-primer as far as i know.(Turn Key Start)
It just shoots a little fuel in the carb at start up.
Never removed one to know of the affects but i doubt that is the problem with hesitation.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey I have a 2006 Sea Ray 195 sport that I just did a 2 to 4 barrel swap. It runs great a picked up about 5 mph on a rough day.

I'm curious what Prop your running and what your outdrive ratio is? Did you buy one of the rebuilt 600CFM units they have in their webstore?

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i just got one of their 600 holleys...came boxed and padded, and the carb was even heat sealed/shrink wrapped....not just wrapped with the stretch wrap

love it

pic just after took it out of box...
100_4816.jpg

Last edited:

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just put the exact same holley 600 cfm carb on my 305 engine, havent had a chance to test it out yet. Now that I am reading this post i am hoping not to have the same problem. Once you figure out what the problem was and how you resolved it, could you please post it on this thread? Also, did you switch your prop? if so, to what? thanks

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey there where do you get that carb and how much $$$$$$$$$ look beautiful

The Joker

Cadet

I used the summit brand stage one part number SUM-226018. That is the exact carburetor I used. It also came shrink wrapped, but it had been dropped during shipping. I changed props when I bought the boat new in 2006 to a 19 pitch ss. It had a 21 aluminum one. It is a alpha one and I am not sure what the ratio is.

The Joker

Cadet

National Carburetors on ebay. They are in Florida. 229.00 pretty cheap. I will post on here when I figure out the problem.