2 Stroke Tach

RobertL

Cadet
I need a tach for a 1973 9.5 Johnson outboard mounted on a 14 ft Waco aluminum Jon Boat. I have looked at several diferent types but wasn't sure which one i would need. I have a digital tach i borrowed from a friend but it reads 3500 rpm's at idle so i am sure it isn't reading correct. At full throttle it read 6900 rpm but i know it would throw the rods at that high rpm level. It has a 8x8 1/2 pitch prop which is factory so i know the rpm's can't be correct. Any direction or help finding a tach or ideas for the one i currently have would be appreciated.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 2 Stroke Tach

Welcome aboard!
The Tiny-Tachs are fine as long as they are for, or set to 2 cyl, 2 cycle.
As for high top-end, keep in mind the wrist pin and the crank-end of the rod both have needle bearings and the crank runs on 2 roller bearings...it's just an airpump...even if it was 6900, it wouldn't know it.
The stock reeds won't let it go that high anyway...it just hits a point where it won't go any higher...somewhere just above 6000 usually..

RobertL

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Any idea where i could purchase a tach for the engine i have? I don't want to spend a fortune but i would really like to know what my rpm's are running at.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Tiny tach has a web site, reasonable price,easy install,will work on any 2 cylinder 2 stroke without regard for poles.I don't have direct experience with tiny tach but will be getting one.

RobertL

Cadet

;) Thanks for all the help. I looked at the website and will be contacting them tomorrow to order one. This forum site is great and the help is remarkable. lot of knowledge floating around on the forums. Thanks again.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

where you order from tiny tach, just make sure you tell them the specs of your motor, if they send you the wrong tiny tach it will not work properly ....