2 stroke oils/4 stroke

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know that back in the days when real motors were made people put what ever kind of oil they had on hand in them 'but i had a 40 yr exp outboard mech. that told me modern 2 stroke oils we have now any outboard is safe at 40or50/1 no matter how old the motor might be /all my motors are 47/51/57/59/61/and i sure don't won't to hurt my babies :rolleyes:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 stroke oils/4 stroke

Hmmmm.<br /><br />40 years experience, huh? Maybe 5 years experience 8 times?<br /><br />He is wrong. Engines with sleeve bearings need more oil than frictionless (ball, roller and needle) bearings for best performance and long life.<br /><br />It is true that many of the pre-60s engines are so tough that they can stand a lot of abuse and "keep on ticking", but that doesn't make abuse okay. Under-lubricating them is abuse.<br /><br />Some guys will now come on here and tell us they have been running 100:1 in their 1938 Messerschmidt 6.25 forever and it never missed a beat. The 500 other guys who tried it and trashed their engines will not report.<br /><br />If you plan to treat your outboard well, feed it the fuel ratio the manufacturer recommends.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer

I have been told the same thing several times. I used to have a 1964 18hp OMC Fastwin. I think the ratio was 16:1 when it was new. After hearing the above 'advice' many times, I began leaning the mixture. The big difference was the amount of visible smoke left behind. For the last ten years I owned it, I ran it 45:1 on TWC3 oil. "<br />"Never missed abeat" - lol.<br />I once did the math on this outboard and concluded that it had 4500 hours on it when I sold it - conservatively! It was more likely the outboard had closer to double that. Maintenance during that time?<br />Replaced the gearcase once - drain screw came out one day while boating.<br />Changed each coil and condenser once.<br />Changed the fuel pump once a year before I sold it.<br />Changed the impellor twice.<br />Changed the thermosstat once then when the new one lasted a year, I took it out altogether.<br /><br />By the way, I once bought the wrong oil and ran stern drive oil in it for 4 tanks. I was up north and there was no way to correct the mistake. I realized it was the wrong oil when I mixed the second tank and saw the green color. Even though the motor ran fine the first tank (which a friend mixed), I doubled the mixture for the remaining three and there was never a problem.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Major.<br /><br />The 1964 18hp JohnnyRudes are 50:1 engines. All JohnnyRudes of 1964 and later called for 50:1.<br /><br />OMC, in 1964, announced that all earlier water cooled OMC engines (Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, Buccaneer and OMC-built "store brand") could be run at 24:1 using TCW rated outboard oils. That included earlier engines that had originally called for 16:1 and 24:1 using non-detergent 30W motor oil. No similar statement accompanied the introduction of TCW-2 and TCW-3 specs.<br /><br />I run 24:1 in my water cooled 1948 Sea King 1.5, using TCW-3 oil. I based that decision on the OMC endorsement of TCW specs.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't back JB up strongly enough here.<br />If the manufacturer says to use 25-1 then use 25-1. If they say 50-1 then use 50-1. They've thrashed more motors trying all the possible alternatives than we can afford. It is a false belief that running the oil mix very lean is beneficial to the owner. I know of more than one owner who has tried that. The end result usually is where their outboard is ruined much sooner than necessay. After all, how come some guys are still running 25+ year old outboards without any major overhauls when others have been through a few outboards?<br />Ross

LubeDude

Admiral

I too back up JB on this one. He has done very well in explaining why. Of course I like synthetic, and they have there place. You can use them in the really older engines too with great results, but you shoud use the correct oil ratios.<br /><br />The main reason newer engines can perform very well on the 100:1 synthetic oils is that they do not have the solvents in the bottle of oil to thin it out. Hence the 8 Oz. bottle for 6 Gals. It is also formulated to be mixed this way. Ive used it for 25+ years and it performs flawlessly and I cant say too much about it!

Forktail

Ensign

Apparently oil technology does make a difference.<br /><br />The new E-TEC's oil delivery system can be programmed to deliver about half as much oil when using a special synthetic oil. Otherwise it will use about twice as much when programmed for using a TCW-3.<br /><br />It appears the engine's need for lubrication didn't change. The type of oil did.

horsefly38425

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks a lot for the feedback /guess i'll keep'em smokin for thier own good. ;) ;)