2 stroke ban?

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not sure if I'm in the right spot but does anyone know if the upcoming 2 stroke ban at Lake Mead includes boats or is it just pwc's? Either way it sucks they should just let them die out naturally.

Re: 2 stroke ban?

wow that does suck i know that i would never take a two stroke off my boat and go to a 4 first cause i don't got the money and second it's a waist of a motor. i agree they should die off naturally. since of last year they will start dieing off because of dealer not being allowed to sell a two stroke.

NYBo

Admiral

Note that the info in Bruce's link does NOT ban 2-strokes. Carbureted 2-strokes are goners there, however.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Carbureted 2-strokes are goners there, however.

True. I believe it was the E-Tec (correct me if I'm wrong) that advertises their EFI 2-stroke as cleaner than Yamaha's 4-Cycle.

Tailguner

Seaman

banning of 2 stroke engines has been going on a while here in kamifornia. right now "IF they allow a 2 stroke engine then the 2 stroke has to be direct injected (iirc) and be tested and authorized for use by a star rating system for emissions.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think any engine maker has made a carbureted 2 stroke for the U.S. market since 2005. The direct inject two strokes have been available since I believe 98 or 99 (Evinrude FICHT). Evinrude E-TEC came out in 2004, and to my knowledge was the first two stroke allowed back on Lake Tahoe.

That link up above show that carbed 2 stroked on Lake Mead will be banned after January 1st, 2013 :

Clean Engine Requirement - 2013

Beginning January 1, 2013, boats that do not meet the Environmental Protection Agency Rule for gasoline spark - ignition marine engines would be prohibited on Lakes Mead and Mohave. The National Park Service will require the exclusive use of four-stroke engines, direct-injection two-stroke engines or equivalent technology.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

I have to tell you, I personally agree they should die off naturally, people shouldn't have to get rid of perfectly functioning motors. Can't wait for it though. I just fixed my 3hp kicker so I was running it in a bucket was pretty gross with the oil left behind. And yes I know I need to make sure my oil ratio is correct. Manual says I can go to 100:1 after break in (always thought 50:1) so I will do that but it will be nice not to see the oil behind my boat.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The Evinrude etecs cannot even be placed in the same category as other 2-strokes.

Cleanest burning outboards ever built, and they've won awards for being environmentally friendly.

Too bad we can't all afford to run out and buy one to replace out carb'd motors.:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Manual says I can go to 100:1 after break in (always thought 50:1) so I will do that but it will be nice not to see the oil behind my boat.

What motor is this? I know OMC had a 100:1 spec for a little bit but they ended up changing it back to 50:1.

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well at least when can go to Mead this summer after that well there's no new motor in my future kind of short 7-8k. There are lots of lakes in socal that I can still use my old motor in.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

The manual for my Evinrude 3HP says it can go 100:1.

fishrdan

Admiral

Yup,,, I have another 2 years to save up for a different OB :mad:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere, that originally, LMNRA was only trying to ban 2 stroke jet-ski's. Then the PWC people got their panties in a bunch and forced the LMNRA to ban all carbed 2 strokes engines, can't be discriminating against lake lice I guess :rolleyes:

mitchp

Seaman

Note that the info in Bruce's link does NOT ban 2-strokes. Carbureted 2-strokes are goners there, however.

Easy now, im doing the final touches on my 59, Evinrude Golden Jubilee, I believe she will be good for the next ten years. Two Strokes Truck, Four Strokes .... :D

jkust

Rear Admiral

I think I hear a cash-for-2 stroke-clunkers program coming.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

wow that does suck i know that i would never take a two stroke off my boat and go to a 4 first cause i don't got the money and second it's a waist of a motor.

Well you will now! Yes it does suck! This is happening all over the country. It's mainly happening on Federally administered and some other lakes. It will be on all lakes and waterways eventually.

I had a little 1977 6hp Evinrude for my Zodiac Zoom that I sold (for $300) several years ago just because of this. I bought a new Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke (81lb) outboard after that. It was about $1600 but I love it! And I love not having to screw with mixing oil and having gas around I cannot use in anything else.

The Evinrude etecs cannot even be placed in the same category as other 2-strokes.

Cleanest burning outboards ever built, and they've won awards for being environmentally friendly.

Too bad we can't all afford to run out and buy one to replace out carb'd motors.:(

Yeah. Evinrude even claims that the ETEC will use LESS oil than a comparable 4 stroke outboard (when you consider that changing oil is "using" oil)