2 stroke automatic oil system

kitokamuro

Seaman Apprentice
i just got a 2004 seadoo utopia 185 with the 200hp merc. my question is this is the automatic oil injection system reliable?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: 2 stroke automatic oil system

yes... some of the early SJ's had issues, but they were all worked out by the late 90's. There are a couple precautions though, NEVER let your oil tank get low, sucking in an air bubble could be fatal. Also, keep an eye on the oil lines. If they show signs of age, replace them. Replacing them after failure is a little too late!

kitokamuro

Seaman Apprentice

whats sj? is this system what they call dfi?thanks for your input

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

There is a lot of debate on the issue and the die hard riders all go premixed. I have never disconnected any injection pump on my skis or my boats and have never had a problem. That being said, if yours does die out, it'll lock your engine in about 3 minutes. Unfortunately, you'll never know if it goes out until there's a problem. They do have oil injection pump rebuild kits so it might not be too much of a hassle for a extra piece of mind. I still prefer the injection pump for a true precision measuring of oil.

kitokamuro

Seaman Apprentice

thanks does the 2 cycle oil ever go bad from sitting?

Congreve502

Cadet

thanks for your input

paxan21

Recruit

I have 2002 Sea Doo Utopia M2 Jet Driver Mercury V6 2 stroke engine. What kind of oil do i need to use?

emoney

Commander

My older Merc Sport Jet 120xr uses TCW3. Any brand will do, but I'd tend to lean towards the "marine" version, of course.