2 questions the book dosen't answer 235HP

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello.
I have 2 questions. I have an '85 235HP evinrude.
Can anyone tell me how many poles the alternator has.
And, it's equipped with the original VRO which is oil-disabled by plugging the oil input line, but still acting as a fuel pump. It there a fuel pump-only,that I can install on here that will supply the 3 carbs (without oil input) or is it ok to just go on with the VRO?
Thanks, John

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 2 questions the book dosen't answer 235HP

Alternator is 12 poles so a tach would be set to 6P (pulses). Not sure about a replacement pump.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

some engines can be converted to the older type fuel pumps,you would need 2 for a v6,what is important is,does your intake manifold have the 1)threaded mountings that would be on the starter side of the intake,also 2)you need to be able to get the pulse for both pumps,I believe they may be pluggedwith a slotted screw,yrs later they didnt exist,your VRO would be using one,you need the volume of 2 ,fuel goes into one,then both interconnected by out of first pump to in of second,out of second to carbs,the original set up had a plastic fuel manifold supplying carbs and primer,you may be able to get parts through salvage,if you dont have a intake with the needed threaded mounting or pulse,any older v6 intake will work,foud too at salvage or ebay

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class

HI!
Thanks for your information. My motor does have the threaded mounting for the other pump.
So I will need 2 pumps with one feeding into the other. Ok, thats great. I have 2 on hand, but is there anything wrong or unwise with just continuing to run the VRO with capped off oil line untill it reaches its lifespan?
Thanks, JOHN

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Bhile.
Would you believe that I have a Seloc manual and it tells nothing about my questions?
Thanks for the info.
John

Monkaroo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I can beleive it . Some of the guys on the forums advised me to get an OEM manual for my 175 Evinrude . No doubt it was the best move I've made .

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If your currenty VRO quits, Bombardier makes a VRO-type pump which is fuel only. It has no oil pump side. It's slightly cheaper than a regular VRO.

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, great.
I will just run the VRO I have and if it fails, I will get the replacment.
Thank you for your advice.
John

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If it fails you will be looking at a powerhead.

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

highly suggest you just run 50:1, all the VROs i have seen have the oil side disabled. I hear they are pretty reliable, well the newer ones but i just woudlnt risk it.

Jeb1971

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys.
Yes, by all means, I wont be running the VRO's oil injection. I like to mix my own fuel also.
I dont like automatic oil mixer on motorcycles either.
I'll just run my current VRO now on fuel only, and when and/or if it fails, ill just run out of gas. (get out the oar)
John