2 Q's about 7.5 Eska/Gamefisher

GreenF350

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok....I finally had it fire off today....looks like with minimal work it will be a good "beater" motor for the 12' jon boat. Not sure of the year, but it is a 7.5hp Gamefisher model # 217-585940. Here's the questions...

1. The carb has 2 hoses that run out of it....one goes to the fuel inlet fitting and the other one was rotted/broken off to a nub. Where does this fuel line run to?

2. I have no idea how to check the condition of the water pump on an air cooled motor. I have heard that it is just to cool the leg so you don't burn yourself, but I have also hear that you CAN burn up the motor if it isn't working right. Which is true? I'm not too concerned about it getting too hot as long as it won't damage anything. I hate to put a $70 water pump kit in this old motor JUST to keep the leg cool.

Ok....I guess I will sneak one more in.....Anyone know where I could get the linkage from the tiller lever to the carb? This one was missing it when I got it and it was replaced with a piece of coat hanger that just didn't work worth a darn. Sears says it it discontinued.

Thanks for all the help you can give me.

-Aaron

wizzy214

Cadet
Re: 2 Q's about 7.5 Eska/Gamefisher

question 1: one hose goes to the tank on top of the motor, and the other can go to another tank like a 5 gal or whatever.
on my 7.5 it looks like sombody used jb weld on one of the holes on the carb so you just use the tank on top.

and 3rd question ebay or craigslist.

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like previously mentioned the second hose goes to an auxillary fuel fitting. Plug it off if you want or fix the line so you can run a gas tank.

I hear the impeller is needed. You can get a new impeller off ebay for about $20 shipped. Fairly simple job.

You can try and make the linkage out of heavier wire or be patient and look for one off ebay. There is a seller or two on ebay that deals with these old motors.

GreenF350

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right on guys! Thanks for all of the help. I knew that there was a tank under the cowling, but mine was gone and I thought maybe it was an option and might have been made both ways. I never even thought about it being able to run from either one! I will look into ebay for the other parts. I just have had a hard time even pricing parts for these things....lol. Thanks again for all of the help!
-Aaron

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As far as cooling water should mist out of the relief holes on the leg.
Yes too hot to run without a pump.There is a pump in the carb flange for the remote tank.usually problematic.Personally I would get it running as good as possible with minimum investment, sell it and put the money toward a E/J 5,5.5,6,7.5 or 8 hp from the early 50s to the 80s.smoother,quieter,probably more powerful and much easier to find routine parts for all the way back to the 50s.Some right here at iboats.