2 motors on 16 foot boat?

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
Could I put two 50 hp mercury outboards on my 16 ft arrowglass tri hull? How would steering hook up? Would I have two sets of controls? The reason I ask is that I happen to have two motors. One 50 is not enough to really move the boat.

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Possibly but not a good idea in my opinion. If I were in your shoes I would sell both through a classified ad and buy a used, larger motor. Running two motors would give you a lower hp to weight ratio than a single 100 hp, the maintenance is doubled, running two motors without one being counter rotating will not give you the full handling benefits of normal twin setup, your rigging requirements will be more complicated and your transom well is probably not big enough to accommodate 2 motors. That said it could be a fun little project if you enjoy working on boats more than using them (many seem to) but certainly not the simplest way to skin the cat. Also look at the combined weight of the two motors and compare with the weight of an outboard of the maximum hp rating for the boat, weight may be a limiting factor.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If a 50 won't move that 16' boat, you may have a couple of problems. First, the boat may be waterlogged and has too much weight to move. Second, the current motor isn't running all that well. Maybe both situations exist.

Adding twice the motor weight isn't the answer.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... With enough time, 'n money, you can do anything ya wanta do,....

That project sounds like it'll be a waste of both,....

NYBo

Admiral
They would do that in the old days when larger outboards weren't available. Makes no sense nowadays.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Unless you enjoy a challenge and working on boats I would say no. Sell them and buy a 115 hp instead if the boat can handle it. As for a 50 not being enough, I am hoping you are just wanting to go with really fast and your boat it not water logged.

cptrick3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Those old tri hulls were very heavy. They really didn't know how strong fiberglass was back then so they made the hulls much thicker than they needed to be. My first boat was a Larson 18' tri hull with a 120 Johnson. I didn't think I was over powered.

southkogs

Staff member
50 will move most 16' tri-hulls, but it won't put all of 'em up on plane. Not sure I'd wanna' do it with two motors, but it could work out ...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
When I had the old Crestliner tri hull,50hp evinrude, it was doggy. A change to a 17 pitch prop made all the difference. Got on plane and stayed there much better. It still was a bit to get a skier up but the thing was waterlogged to.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
For a Sunday ride it is really not worth the effort and money. However, if you expect to do some extended cruising or go out on the ocean, the redundancy is very comforting. And, of course, if you just want something different and really like the sound of twin engines singing, go for it!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Everyone has told the OP not to do this or that it is not a good idea but nobody has answered the questions.
1) Can I do this? Yes you can
2) How do I do this? You move one motor over and then add the second (if there is room) otherwise transom mods are required.
3) How would steering hook up. Both motors are connected via a tie-bar that links the two motors. The existing steering system is used.
4) You need a dual engine control system because you now have two motors that need throttle and shifting control.
5) You need two separate fuel tanks or a "tee" setup at the tank so both engines can suck fuel.
6) You need money, time, mechanical and electrical skills and ability to deal with frustration.

Suprathepeg

Petty Officer 1st Class
For a Sunday ride it is really not worth the effort and money. However, if you expect to do some extended cruising or go out on the ocean, the redundancy is very comforting. And, of course, if you just want something different and really like the sound of twin engines singing, go for it!

My thoughts exactly, If I was spending a lot of time on big water I would much prefer twins than a main and a kicker. The kicker will get you home but it can be pretty damn slow and pretty scary in big water with bad weather. I don't think the setup to run duals is really any more difficult than running a kicker so its not a huge deal.

Now if you're running in small water with lots of boaters then the only real reason to run duals is the cool factor. I run a single (I/O) and am currently hunting for a cavitation plate mounted electric trolling motor. Not cause I like fishing but because It'll get me out of trouble where I play.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Duals won't get you home any faster than a good kicker if one fails unless the single can plane the boat and not overheat from being lugged... Plus a lugging main engine may well run you out of your fuel reserve before you make it back.
This means (for most boats) you either have to be way under propped or have to change the prop 'at sea' on the still running engine in the event of a failure.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If you run a T to supply fuel then two check valves after it are needed to be able to run one engine... Two pickups would be better.

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the responses. It was just something I was considering. The boat will go about 26 now with me and 1 other person. It is not waterlogged, I just redid the floor this past year and changed all foam. The motor has good compression on all cylinders and seems to run great. The boat originally had a 115 on it. I would just like to get out to the end of the jetties quicker, and for the "if one dies I still have one to get home". Guess I will start looking for a bigger motor....

series9

Seaman Apprentice
I say yes, do it! I've never seen a 16' twin and I would love to see pictures.