#2 cylinder low compression

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have 1994 120hp Mercury force. I have low compression in cylinder #2. I guess my question is - I can fix this myself? I am mechinal inclined. Or is there anyone that does this on the side in the twin cities in Minnesota. Or does anyone have a good video on how to do this and where to buy parts. Thank you so much for your help.

Pricey474

Cadet
Hi Mate I've just finished a major rebuild on my 94 120hp and it was very doable as these motors are pretty basic having said that expect a few hurdles along the way like broken bolts etc I knew nothing about outboards beforehand but after hours of research I have to say it was very rewarding . There is a guy on you tube that videoed his 120 force rebuild which I found very helpful plus the boys on here are amazing . I guess the first step is to assess the bore for damage mine was marked so had to rebore all cylinders and replace all Pistons 30thou bigger overall wasn't too hard at all just remember photo or video everything I did and made things much easier. Good luck

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The extent of the damage will contribute to the difficulty and cost.
Try to figure out the cause first.
Things like the carb set wrong, or a piece of foam from the cowl liner or overheating etc.

Like Pricey said the motors pretty straightforward and if you can handle a wrench and a camera you can do it.

The camera is for taking pics before and during disassembly
Bought a Suburban with a diesel.
It needed a head.
Took all kinds of pics.
The pics were worth more than I paid for the truck!!!

Now Priceys job: I don't know why all the cyl. were replaced??
But if only one needs it?? then do only one.
I did a rebuild on Gregsmeres 125 2-3 years ago and only did 1 piston and it's running(I think)

Once you get into boring and buying oversized pistons.
.010 -.020 you can get away with no other modifications.

Getting .030 and above and especially on all 4 you might need to re-jet the high speed jets,

The parts are readily available and not that expensive.

Buy Wiseco pistons and their rings for the new piston.
Wiseco rings WON"T fit any other pistons.( I found out the hard way)

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Water pump seemed to be working. Water was spitting out and the motor didn't seem hit at all. Will need to check the other items.

kbryant

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One more question. Maybe I should check the water pump. Does any have a good YouTube video? I can't find one for a 1994 Mercury force 120hp outboard.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Test the overheat circuit.
.​The sender is on the head.
It should have an orange lead.
Key on, ground the orange lead against the block.
The buzzer should sound off.

The first few posts in this forum have tips and trick to do repairs including the impeller.