2 Color Mold

lilyperch

Cadet
Looking for info on how to do a boat console mold in 2 colors using gel-coat as outer layer? ​Outer side of console same as boat deco color and dash/instrument panel in white made from 1 mold.

Thank you,

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Having read your other threads and understanding what you are trying to do, I think what you need to do is do some searching on YouTube etc.. and get a general understanding of Fiberglass Mold fabrication and Gelcoating. Once you have gained this knowledge I believe you'll start to understand what will be needed to do the job. The main issue is, I think you'll find that building a " Plug" (the mold to lay the fiberglass in and form the console) is a tedious and labor intensive project. But then again Maybe Not!!!

You might find this informative too...http://www.thehulltruth.com/1886500-post192.html

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I bought an e-book on Amazon titled Fiberglass BoatRepairs Illustrated by Roger Marshall.

It contains a fairly lengthy explanation of how fiberglass boats are created, with quite a few pictures and illustrations that you might find helpful.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Just to brain storm with you, do you really need a mold made?

Do you have a console you like and you want to duplicate it? Do you anticipate producing more than one piece of your part? Is it very important to have flawless gelcoat, factory quality finish? These are common situations for which creating a mold is practically unavoidable. On the other hand, if you will just fabricate your console out of wood and fiberglass over it, sand, fair, fill, fair and paint; you don’t necessarily have to create a mold. You can if you want, but you investing a lot of time and effort for little ROI.

Last edited:

lilyperch

Cadet
Yes, thank you. You are very knowledgeable and helpful to all. I have been searching, watching reading everything I can find. I read the Hull Truth. The Finnish gentleman rebuilding that beautiful boat made molds for hatch covers. In researching I could not find anything about using 2 colors. Also cannot get clear answer about using flexible acrylic shower panels as a mold and could gel-coat be used as 1st layer. Also trying to find out how to use rigid foam board as a mold without melting it. Information here is the best I can find. I am waiting for response from 2 large fiberglass boat manufacturers about a plant tour. I looked at hundreds of boat molds for sale. I just wondered if it could be done, if not I'll move on to other learning and planning stages. I ordered 5 lbs of scrap fiberglass and quarts of materials to gain experience. I ordered 2 mold and fiber glassing books and a 90 minute how to dvd. When I was a youngster I did a lot of model planes and large ships. This rebuilding boats by just using different types and layers of material I find fascinating and fits my personality perfectly.

​No, when I redo boat total deck will be redesigned.

lilyperch

Cadet
No. I want console orange peel look. ​Any threads about vinyl decking vs gel-coat again orange peel look?

I am going to start a mold for a canoe for the 2 acre pond I am building to gain experience. if it sinks new fish structure. LOL

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Well, then. The books, DVD and factory tour will give you a pretty good idea of the mold creation and use. In general, the process stars with creating the "plug", this is the part that you want to produce which is the console in your case. You can use wide variety of material to create the plug if it will be created from scratch as opposed to duplicating an existing one. Wood, plastic, certain types of foam can also be used, card boards, fleece fabric, fillers to fill gaps and fair the surface. When I was working on a project on my garage, I took a note that a drop of resin fell on the shrinkable plastic I use for my RC models and it did not affect it or burn through it but I did not put this into any practical use/test yet. Just something I remember.

After you get the plug to an exact representation of your part including the very smooth finish using putties a lot of sanding and fairing, you will start the waxing process. You will wax on and wax off until you are 100% convinced that the karate kid was enjoying a pleasure cruise.

Then you will start glassing over the plug. Start with non continues fabric such as torn pieces of csm. Keep building up until the cover the whole surface. Don't add too much layers too fast or the generated heat with cook your laminate. Around the corners and sharp turns, you will need braces to prevent deformation. These are cut stripes of fiber glass going along the turn. If you don't get this by the end of your studies, I can post a picture to demonstrate for you.

After you are done glassing, add a base if you want out of anything you want. The outside layer of the glass is all yours to do with it whatever you want. It is the inside layer is what you care about.

After the glass is cured, you will insert plastic wedges to separate the mold (the glass) from the plug (the model of the part)

Be careful here and don't be forceful, patience is a virtue at this time. If you did a good job waxing, it will separate eventually.

The glass part is your mold. The negative, if you will, that you will be creating your parts out of. The mold itself can't be 2-color or multi-color mold. However with creative and strategic use/design of space, panels and break lines, it can produce good quality multi-color parts. I will explain this shortly.

To prepare the mold for use, you will wax the inner layer of the mold until you really hate waxing. every hidden corner and edges. every millimeter square until you prefer to live in the dark than to light a candle when you lose power simply because you want nothing to do with wax. I think by now you got the idea of how important waxing is to the successful outcome of the process.

To get your color effect, mask off around the color 1 area, it will help great deal concealing any imperfections if this area has natural boundaries in the design. For example, if this area is a recessed panel . Spray the color 1 gelcoat. before it cures, remove the tape. If you have any raised edges, smooth them out with a razor blade. make sure the area around is very well masked off. Any imperfections on the waxed surface will show in your actual part.

Now, without masking off anything, spray your color 2 on top of everything including color one. Only the outer layer of color one will show. Color 2 will hide behind color 1 and will show elsewhere in the final product.

When the gel cures, start the process of inserting layers of glass, core, glass core (if any), etc until you are done. If your glassing schedule involves so many layers, watch out for heat. Don't lay down too much too fast.

let everything cures over night and use the same plastic wedges techniques to separate the part from the mold.

To use the mold again, you need to wax again, exactly like before and repeat the process. Glass, core (if any) and so on

There are so many fine details that this overview doesn't cover so it is not a replacement or substitution of your planed coming studies. For example, the first layer of glass that you will put over the gel (which is the most outer layer of the part) should not be heavy or textured as most structural fabrics like woven or bi-axial are. The reason is you want the pattern of the fabric to telegraph through the gelcoat. The process also can get really tricky with some complicated shapes or surface features.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

lilyperch

Cadet
Yes, I understand better now. Makes sense outer layer is what you see. This is going to be fun. I use sketch. up for design work I will use soft rounded corners inside and out. If I make the mold female then I dont need to do seperate glass as the male. Correct?