2.3 Lower Gearcase

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,
The gears in my lower gearcase are in great condition with the exception of the bushing/bearing inside the forward gear.
I have searched for this to no avail and wondered if this is able to be purchased on its own. I see aftermarket gearsets so someone has to be making it for them unless it's a secret so you have to purchase the gearset.
I was also looking for measurements of the propeller shaft because I would like to mic the wear areas to check for wear.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your local machine shop / blacksmith / highschool could make that bushing.----Strange that this bushing is worn as there is no motion when forward is engaged.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Your local machine shop / blacksmith / highschool could make that bushing.----Strange that this bushing is worn as there is no motion when forward is engaged.
When I had her out it skipped one and I had excessive in and out play plus I wanted to do a re-seal.
Upon inspecting the bushing it is worn unevenly more towards the clutch dog, I can visually see the depth difference on the lubrication groove.
It had a definite wobble to it when on the propeller shaft.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

I'll check with my local NAPA when I take my distributor there.

froggy1150

We use oilite bushings alot. There is a site called selflube dot com. They have good examples and sizes

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Unfortunately they do not have anything that would work for me, I also contacted a few companies that offer new gear sets but will not sell that item seperately.