2.3 cobra shift problem now...?

Bottomsupscott

Seaman Apprentice
So, after installing new impeller kit and cable adapters my '89 will not shift into forward when idling...it shifts perfect when engine not running...I wonder if this condition has been the cause of my impellers burning up? Any suggestions?
Thank you!

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Senior Chief Petty Officer
From my work on my 2.3 the shifting issue won't affect your impellers because the impeller spins wherever the engine is running and is not connected to your shifting mechanism.
What cable adapters are you referring to?

The picture I posted shows where your shift cable adjuster is (right) and the arm In front of the exhaust bellow is what contacts the dog in the lower unit to change gears.
Might have to adjust the shift cable because it is very critical on these.

Attachments

• 20210815_142138_compress8.jpg
    20210815_142138_compress8.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 3

Bottomsupscott

Seaman Apprentice
I will take some photos and post them. They are red plastic adapters for the engine side throttle/shift linkage adjusting...teleflex 3300 series (or something like that...)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The shift problem could be the bellcrank is bent???
The pic above shows the bellcrank.
Take it apart and see if the part that is inserted in the housing is at 90d???
Is the interrupter switch killing the motor when you shift?
Sometimes the tiny button slips off center and the switch won't stall the motor?? Start the motor and activate the switch by hand and see if it stalls the motor??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like when you changed the cable adapters it changed the shift cable adjustment, perhaps you are not getting enough travel to fully engage the dog clutch in the fwd gear....might have to:
make sure the cable adapter is installed correctly first, since that's the last thing that was changed that could have a bearing on this problem.
if they are installed correctly you may have to redo the cable adjustment, or if possible just put the old ones back on!
the impeller buring up is not related to the shift system.

Bottomsupscott

Seaman Apprentice
Good ideas...I get so wrapped that I often lose focus and redirection. Meanwhile, I have encountered wiring/connectivity disconnects within the harness on my Mercruiser 140 and am currently becoming overwhelmed with that.
I will post progress on either should should any occur. Hopefully I'll accomplish something over the next half year! As I put in most of my free time on a weekly basis and for the last six months!?#&+@. Wow, it appears that I am not very good at most of this stuff. Who knows...I just can't drag either to the scrap yard just yet. Not sure why as doing so would alleviate my stress and frustrations.
Oh well. Thanks again! Until then...
Scott

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it doesn't work out for you, gift them to your worst enemy, lol.

To borrow a little concept from A. Conan Doyle, in "The Five Orange Pips", if I remember the name of the story right..