2.3 cobra out drive on a 5.0 cobra can it be done with a higher pitch prop

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class
have a 1992 caravelle 19' BR 5.0 outdrive was stolen my freind has a outdrive off a 2.3 wich i could get it cheep (insted of a millon dollars for a new one) he said it might work if you change the pich of the prop because of the difrences in gear race he said cheak before i do it so here i go.. Or if any one has a good used one for my 5.0 Thanks and GOD BLESS

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2.3 cobra out drive on a 5.0 cobra can it be done with a higher pitch prop

Welcome to iboats :) I'm not an OMC guy but, I would have to say that the gearing between the two is different enough that you will never get the desired effect with a simple prop change.....JK

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

What prop were you running? What was top speed? What are the gear ratios of the two drives? With those four bits of information, I could calculate what you would need for a prop.

Bondo

Staff member

My WAG is about 40 Inches...... ;)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Not only is the gearing different, but the 4 cyl Cobras used a different lower than the V6/V8s, so it won't work.

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Lou C:<br /> Not only is the gearing different, but the 4 cyl Cobras used a different lower than the V6/V8s, so it won't work.
Thanks i was afraid of that :(

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Haut Medoc:<br /> Welcome to iboats :) I'm not an OMC guy but, I would have to say that the gearing between the two is different enough that you will never get the desired effect with a simple prop change.....JK
Thanks for the welcome :) this site is verry helpfull. Yes im finding out that OMC is :p and thats y the drive was stolen because they couldnt aford one. because im finding out you need to be don trump to aford the parts!! thanks for you input :)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The OMC Cobra drive is actually a pretty good one, the problem is finding mechanics that know how to set them up right. I have not really had a problem getting parts as of yet. Over the years I have had a bearing retainer and a few seals replaced, outside of normal maintenance.

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Lou C:<br /> The OMC Cobra drive is actually a pretty good one, the problem is finding mechanics that know how to set them up right. I have not really had a problem getting parts as of yet. Over the years I have had a bearing retainer and a few seals replaced, outside of normal maintenance.
Hi lou!! I will keep you in mind when i need those hard to find parts.. Thats what everyone is telling me when omc & volvo came together something good came from it.They just had that repretation because my pap had an old omc drive and had nothing but problems with it, we were alwas stuk on the lake, eveybody picked on chrystler outboard but that 20 hp kicker allways saved our butts even ran on one cyl and keep running. Good day to you And GOD BLESS GP

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The OMC/Volvo thing didn't start till 93. Even then, it didn't help the older Cobra's at all. None of the drive parts are the same.<br />The SX style drive can be installed on the OMC Cobra transom shield, but it isn't a quick and easy remove one and install the other. You have to change the pivot housing, install and engine driven raw water pump, change shift cables, do some trim ram fixes, then install the new SX drive. OR, if you had LOTS of money a DuoProp drive. But it sure makes a big difference going to the DP, in how the boat runs.<br />But you better be able to say the words 7 to 9 grand for the change over, without falling down.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

See if you can find a good Evinrude/Johnson dealer, I have been able to get just about everything I needed from my local OMC dealer. Plus they really know these drives and how to make them work.<br />Another good source is www.dougrussell.com<br />look in the OMC parts section.<br />As Don S said the conversion to Volvo is quite pricey, I will stick with the old Cobra as long as I can get parts for it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just noticed your other post about your engine being dead also....... Big time BUMMER.<br />No drive, no engine. That boat better be something you really, really, want before you start looking for engine and drive. You are looking at a complete repower, either Volvo (93 and newer SX style) or Mercruiser. Either will fit the cutout in the transom. But you would truely be wasting your money putting it all back as OMC.

dodge1971340

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi guys thanks for all your help, i took a risk and bought a 4.3 drive off ebay the gear race is real close i cheaked with several marine macks they said every thing will bolt up and all i will have to do is up the prop a little. i will let you all Know. Thanks and God bless!!!! GP